What do you say guys, are you interested in installing the Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 OS on your Nokia N9 handset? I bet you do though it seems like an impossible thing to do. But things are not that complicated, as thanks to the NIT Droid team, you can now have a dual boot kernel on your MeeGo powered N9. It’s pretty excited to see how you can power up, or just play a little bit with the performances of your Nokia handset by flashing the Android platform into its system. And it’s sounds good too: Nokia embracing Google’s Android!
Now, learning how to install Android ICS 4.0.3 firmware on Nokia N9 is let’s say, not for everybody. It’s an relatively hard to complete operation, though if you are used with flashing custom ROMs on different devices there shouldn’t be any issues on the road for you.
Anyway, make sure you read all the lines from this tutorial and don’t skip anything as you can wreck your phone or its system. You can already tell and it’s obvious that once you begin this procedure the Nokia warranty will be void. So, if you think that you aren’t capable to safely complete this task, then maybe it will be a good idea to stop here.
The N9 is a powerful handset with high end specs. It is offering a single core 1 GHz Cortex A8 processor, 1 GB of RAM memory, 16 / 64 GB storage memory, a beautiful 3.9 inches AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, a 8 MP Carl Zeiss optics camera and of course the MeeGo OS. But, I know that ICS instead of MeeGo is making this handset even more appealing. Just imagine the apps you can download from Google Play.
Anyway, leaving this aside, let’s begin our how to process. First, the project of accommodating the Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0.3 in the Nokia N9 is called as the “Project Mayhem” and it means that the phone will have a dual boot kernel capability. You will be able to choose, each time you power up the smartphone, whether to use Android or MeeGo, so the best part is that you can have both of the platforms running on the same device.
The firmware is in beta stage, so there could be some bugs in the system. Furthermore, in the list from below you can discover the features which are working once you install ICS on the N9. Check them out and see if it’s enough for you.
Now, in order to succeed you need to have access to a Windows / MAC / Linux running computer, to the phone and to its USB cord. Do the next operations on your PC and phone:
- Applying this OS will probably wipe the data out from the handset. It’s more than recommended to backup the Nokia N9 data, contacts, messages, calendar info, apps and everything else you need to.
- In order to safely complete the operation there should be at least 70% battery power left; if not charge the phone first.
- Deactivate the security tools from the computer and from your N9. These programs and Firewalls are usually interrupting the procedure and we don’t want that to happen.
That being told you can now proceed to the next section of the tutorial. Remember that the warranty will be void. Also, read carefully and do all as explained and detailed during the steps and everything should be fine.
How to Install Android ICS 4.0.3 Firmware on Nokia N9
- First of all you must install the dual boot kernel, or else you can’t flash the ICS. Download the tool from here and place it to the computer. Then install the software by following the prompts.
- The same should be done with the Silly boot tool. Download the program from here.
- Download Tarball from here and check the integrity, md5 Sum for this archive. The value should be “ee57d8c3b9199e87bb5c355e8c9d1cc3”.
- Connect the N9 with the PC by using the USB cord.
- Then, copy the up mentioned archive from the computer to the phone.
- Now, execute “as root” command: “tar xjvf /path_to_archive/nninedroid_ics_alpha1.tar.bz2 -C /home/”.
- Turn off the smartphone.
- Reboot it by holding the “Volume Up” button. When the message is displayed choose to boot (by pressing the Volume Up button) the alternative OS.
- Wait a few seconds and then go to “Settings -> Display -> Sleep” and choose “30 Minutes”.
That’s all; for making your life easier you should now get ADB for Android SDK from here. The commands that can ease your work are showed in the following window.As you could see that was all; now you know how to install the Android ICS 4.0.3 Firmware on your Nokia N9 smartphone. In case you encounter issues during the process, talk with us so we can help you through. Do tell us how the firmware works on your N9.