Looks like the Android ICS 4.0.4 update is knocking on Huawei U8120’s door, but as we all know from when we were little, we shouldn’t talk to strangers and this applies to the little Huawei U8120. The ICS 4.0.4 firmware brought by CyanogenMod CM9 is in beta stage for the moment so you won’t have all the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 features available on your Huawei U8120. Here are some of the features that don’t work as intended or at all: Camera, Built-in Wireless Tethering, HW accel, Missing FM and many apps malfunction or crash.
Leaving the bad aside, given that this is a beta firmware, here’s a list of working features that might interest you: the Touchscreen works (obviously), SMS and Calling works on both 2G and 3G, Sound, Wi-Fi, Signal Bars, Data, GPS, Accelerometer, Launcher, SD Card, Virtual Keys, Lights and ADB.
Remember that your device must be rooted first and make sure to backup your files and charge the phone’s battery to 80% or 100%, just to be safe. The phone’s warranty will be void once you root it and the only way to restore the warranty on the Huawei U8120 is to install the factory default update which I don’t know when is going to come.
No one but yourself will be held responsible for the possible damage that your device could suffer during or after you’ve applied this guide.
Let’s install the Android ICS 4.0.4 firmware on the Huawei U8120.
- Turn on USB Debugging (Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging) – enabled means checked.
- Disable any anti-virus on your PC or phone, as they could interfere with the update process.
- Download the ClockWorkMod Recovery Package, ICS 4.0.4 Package and Google Apps on your PC and upload them to your phone via USB.
- Unplug the USB cable, turn off the device and boot it in Recovery Mode (Power + Volume Up + Green Button).
- Now that your phone is in Recovery Mode, select install zip from sd card and then choose zip from sd card. Now select the downloaded files in the same order mentioned earlier.
- After the update is done, you will be taken back to Recovery Mode. Select ++++ Go Back ++++ and then reboot the system. If you encounter any problems, take the battery out and place it back in.
It’s as easy as that, now you have installed the Android ICS 4.0.4 on the Huawei U8120, have fun and watch out for new updates, as we will come with new updates every now and then.