The AOKP 4.3 Test Build ROM has been released to RootzWiki forums by BMc08GT user and now you can install it on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3. More info about this AOKP build can be found here.
In order to successfully update your device, you will first need to take a look at the guidelines below:
- Use this post only with the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3. Do not try to flash this custom ROM on any other SGS3 version.
- Your phone has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image like CWM or TWRP.
- Both CWM and TWRP Recovery Modes will work with this tutorial.
- The ‘how-to’ part of this article will ask you to wipe data and factory reset your device, which is why you need to create backups of your most important files.
- Factory Reset will delete only the System partition, while the Internal / External storage won’t be affected. The installed apps data, SMS, contacts, call logs and other similar data will be removed in the process.
- If you want to backup installed apps data then you can either choose Helium app (here) from Google Play or the Titanium Backup tool (here).
- Backup SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be needed for some of these apps.
- Sync the Contacts data with your default Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before it switches off completely.
- This is a guide for advanced users who want to test the latest AOKP features with the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean AOSP.
- You can’t held us responsible in case you lose any important data or you brick the phone.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any instructions.
These were the guidelines you had to go over before continuing to the next part of this post.
How to flash AOKP Android 4.3 Preview Build for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download AOKP 4.3 Test ROM from here.
– do not extract the zip archive.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
– don’t unzip.
- Connect the VZW SGS3 with your computer, then move both zip files to its internal SDcard.
- Disconnect the device when all files are copied.
- Power off the phone and boot into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode.
- First thing you need to do is to create a NANDROID Backup file for the currently installed ROM:
– TWRP Recovery: press Backup, then select the system files you wish to backup and confirm the process.
– CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’. Confirm.
- Now you have to apply the ‘factory reset’ step:
– TWRP Recovery: press Wipe, then Factory Reset’ Confirm.
– CWM Recovery: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm the process.
- Next, install the ROM file:
– TWRP Recovery: press Install, then browse your device’s internal SDcard for the AOKP 4.3 zip. Confirm the installation using the blue button shown at the bottom of the screen.
– CWM Recovery: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP 4.3 zip file and confirm that you wish to flash this new ROM.
> do not press any buttons and wait until the install process is complete.
- When the AOKP 4.3 Jelly Bean preview build ROM has been flashed, use the actions in step 8 once again and flash the Gapps zip too.
- After both files have been installed with success, return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode menu.
- Reboot your smartphone into normal mode.
– note that the first boot process might take several minutes to complete.
– in case the first boot takes more than 10 minutes to complete or the phone enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If every single thing went according to plan, then the installation has been successful and you can enter your Google Accounts details to gain full control over your device’s functions.
Now that you’ve managed to complete the installation, start testing all the new features and see how is your phone working the Android 4.3 JB and AOKP test build. Try to test the battery life and all the latest new features that were added by the AOKP team.
If you’re having problems completing the installation, then you can always leave a detailed comment at the end of this post. We will try to come up with a solution for any problems you might encounter while attempting to update your device. Before complaining about the installation process not being successful at your first attempt, you should try to repeat all the instructions without skipping any of the steps that are listed above.
In case you do not like this new ROM, then you can choose to restore your device to its previous ROM using the custom Recovery Mode and the file created in step 6. Use comments field below for extra help.