The first Nightly build based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat is now live for the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 device.
Use this guide if you want to learn how to successfully install it on your device. With this custom ROM you will get the whole KitKat 4.4.4 firmware features as well as some other additional functions that are designed by the AOKP team. At the ROM developers’ web page you can find more info about the functions and features packed in this new custom ROM.
If you want to learn how to install this new ROM you will first have to take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505.
– do not install this ROM on any other different Android smartphones.
– this guide works only with the International LTE model of Galaxy S4, do not install it on the US models.
– the model number of your device can be checked under Settings> About Phone section and it has to be GT – I9505 otherwise the tutorial will not work.
- the Galaxy S4 LTE you’re about to update has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP.
- before installing the new ROM you will have to make sure to apply two additional steps: NANDROID ROM Backup and Factory Reset.
– the NANDROID Backup creates a full restore point for your device.
– Factory Reset is required as it will remove all data added by the previous ROM and it allows you to install the new AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly build.
– don’t skip those steps as you will find them in the tutorial part of this post.
- if you want to save data from installed apps or sync some SMS text messages then you can use Helium for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- read the whole tutorial, don’t skip any steps and do not blame us in case you brick the phone, this guide is for advanced users.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent it from switching off during the installation process.
These were all the preparation instructions that you had to read before starting the update. Note that this is still a Nightly build and it might not work at its very best, but it delivers a great KitKat experience.
How to flash AOKP KitKat 4.4.4 Nightly ROM for Galaxy S4 LTE I9505:
- Download the AOKP KitKat 4.4.4 zip from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect the phone to your PC via USB cable, then move both zip files to its internal storage.
– do not unzip the files.
– if you’ve used your device to download the new files, then you can skip this step.
- Power off the phone now.
- Boot the Galaxy S4 LTE in Recovery Mode.
– both CWM and TWRP custom Recovery variants are supported by this guide.
- First, create a full NANDROID ROM Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm.
– TWRP: press Backup. Swipe the blue button to confirm process.
- Apply the Factory Reset for your Galaxy S4 LTE:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe.
– confirm the process and continue to the next step when you’re done.
- Install the new AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly ROM now:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: Press install button.
– find the ROM zip file and confirm the process.
- After the ROM is flashed you can install the Gapps zip as well.
- Return to the main custom Recovery Mode menu when the process is complete and both files are installed.
- Reboot the device in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use your login info in order to take control over your smartphone once again.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the installation of the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat build for your Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 device. In case you have problems completing the guide, then you can ask for more help in comments or you can choose to repeat the whole guide more than once.