The US HTC One can now be installed with the official release of AOKP custom ROM firmware. The AOKP software is based on latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS and as mentioned it is now suitable with the T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint and AT&T variant of the HTC One. Therefore, if you want to install a stable Android 4.4.2 firmware on your HTC One ahead of official OTA release, then you need to apply the AOKP update by following the present step by step guide.
As you know, the official Android 4.4 KitKat update for the US HTC One will be OTA released during the following weeks. But, as we are talking about the official roll out, the KitKat software will be made available in phases or gradually depending on each carrier (T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and AT&T). What does this mean? Well, in a few words, the Android 4.4.2 update might embrace your HTC One only on March (and this if you are lucky), so until then you will still be stuck on Jelly Bean OS.
Of course, as I have already stated, you can choose to apply the latest Android firmware by choosing the AOKP custom ROM. The best is that this version of AOKP is official so we aren’t dealing with a buggy port of the same platform. Now, AOKP is also based on CM11 firmware and it is bringing important features and capabilities to your HTC One. These features and capabilities will offer you the possibility of personalizing and improving your Android smartphone. How? Well, first of all you will have access to the internal system of your phone – so you will be able to remove in build programs, remove bloatware and so on. Then, you will be able to use some dedicated apps for improving the speeds, personalizing the KitKat looks, upgrade the battery life, obtain more power and update the web browsing experience.
But, with AOKP you will not get the pure Android 4.4.2 user interface on your T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T or Verizon HTC One as the firmware will come with its own UI. Also, by now it should be clear for you that AOKP is only a free aftermarket distribution of Android 4.4.2 and not an official update that has been released by HTC or by Google for your US HTC One. Because of that, the present ROM can be installed only manually on your phone and only by using the procedure described below – this method is risky and complex and must be applied only by following dedicated steps and guidelines.
Also, as I have already told you this is the official version of AOKP custom ROM. So, because of that this update is stable and with not bugs or things that aren’t working properly. The Android 4.4.2 OS will smoothly run on your HTC One so you have all the reasons for completing this step by step guide.
Good; if you have decided to follow the guidelines explained here you should first take a look on the pre requisites from below. In this way you will be able to properly prepare your Verizon / T-Mobile / AT&T / Sprint HTC One with AOKP custom ROM firmware.
- Unlock the bootloader of your smartphone. Do that because root access is also required and the same can be granted only of the bootloader has been previously unlocked.
- Root your HTC One. Now root access must be gained because a custom recovery must be installed on your phone – as you can already tell, a custom recovery can be flashed only on a rooted system.
- These operations aren’t official. So by completing the same the binary flash counter of your device will be increased. Because of that the warranty of your smartphone will get void.
- You can restore the warranty by revoking the root access and by relocking the bootloader. In order to do so you will have to downgrade your HTC One to stock Android OS, or update with an official release of the same – take note though that the OTA updates can be only manually installed on rooted handsets.
- Perfect; now install the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery on the HTC One (use suitable apps for the AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon models of the phone). CWM recovery is the best custom recovery that is available for Android while TWRP recovery represents the touch version of CWM recovery, so you can choose each tool you prefer.
- Backup the HTC One data. A wipe will be required or else the AOKP custom ROM will not run properly on your smartphone. Now, when wiping the system your data will be erased, so the best will be to back it up before going any further.
- I recommend you to save at least the contacts list, call logs, market apps, text messages and personal data, info and accounts by using suitable backup and restore apps from Google Play. Also use the custom recovery image for making a Nandroid backup – save / and also restore when needed the current ROM.
Good; after applying the essential pre requisites you need to take care of the general ones. The first thing to do is to ensure that a computer or notebook can be used. Then, make sure that the HTC One USB cable and of course your phone is near you. Furthermore, on both computer and device you first have to disable (only temporarily) the antivirus and basically the security protection – these tools might interfere with the update operation. Also, take a look on the battery status of your device; if there is less than 50% power left, plug in the charger – your phone might get bricked if it gets turned off in the middle of the flashing procedure.
Finally, use this tutorial only if you own the Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T or Sprint version of the HTC One. The AOKP Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM is compatible only with the mentioned smartphones – using the steps from below for a similar or for a different device will probably brick your beloved smartphone or tablet.
How to Install Official AOKP Android 4.4.2 Firmware on HTC One (for T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and AT&T)
- First of all, you have to download the required files on your computer.
- From here you can get the AOKP firmware file for the Verizon model of HTC One; while from here you can get the Android 4.4.2 update for the T-Mobile HTC One; for the Sprint model go here; and for the AT&T version of the HTC One use this link.
- Also, on your computer download the Google Apps package – go here.
- Place the files on desktop, without unzipping the same.
- Now, connect your smartphone with your computer – use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Up next, copy paste or drag and drop the downloaded files from desktop on your phone.
- Then unplug the USB cord and turn off your phone.
- Reboot the HTC One in recovery mode.
- Then from recovery mode wipe the system and clear the cache; in order to do so you have to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Go back, select “advance” and choose “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Then from the main menu of recovery select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the AOKP Android 4.4.2 firmware file and install the same on your HTC One.
- Do the same thing and flash the Google apps package on your Android device.
- Then from recovery select “reboot system now” and you are done.
If after completing the procedure from above your US HTC One will get stuck in a boot loop you will have to enter recovery mode once more. Then from there you need to select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”. Reboot and everything should work as expected.
Similar, if you have made a Nandroid backup and want to restore the old firmware on your device, you need to go back to recovery mode. From there select “backup / restore” and follow the on screen prompts.
Also, if you are dealing with other issues or problems, try to use our dedicated step by step guide for resolving the same. Furthermore, if that isn’t working for you, use the comments area from below and share your problems with us as we will assist you as soon as possible.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed official AOKP Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM firmware on your Verizon / T-Mobile / AT&T / Sprint HTC One. Test the new software and see how it performs on your Android device. If you find something wrong like bugs or things that aren’t working properly share your results and the issues with us and with other users who might want to complete this dedicated step by step guide.