If you own the Galaxy Note 2 phablet and want to update to Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS ahead of official OTA roll out, then now is the perfect chance for you. The official AOKP custom ROM firmware has been made available, the update being now compatible with the Verizon / AT&T / T-Mobile / Sprint / LTE models of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. So by using this step by step guide you will be able to learn how to easily and safely install AOKP Android 4.4.2 on your Galaxy Note 2, all the info needed being explained and detailed during the following guidelines.
Even though this version of AOKP is official, the actual update isn’t in term that AOKP is only based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS, representing a free aftermarket distribution of the same. So, the firmware from this tutorial has nothing to do with Samsung or with Google. That’s why AOKP Android 4.4.2 can be only manually installed on the Galaxy Note 2. The software is stable and comes without bugs, issues or things that aren’t working properly.
So, by choosing this update, on your Verizon / AT&T / T-Mobile / Sprint / LTE Galaxy Note 2 will run a smooth Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware. Just remember that AOKP is only based on the latest Android system which means that with AOKP you will get both stock and extra (that can’t be found on the default version of KK) features and capabilities. Therefore, AOKP will not install the pure Android 4.4.2 user interface on your Note 2 as the ROM will bring its own themes, looks and widgets.
Also, by using the AOKP features and capabilities you will be able to customize, optimize and improve your Verizon / AT&T / T-Mobile / Sprint / LTE Samsung Galaxy Note 2 performances. Basically, after applying this step by step guide you will be able to receive more power, improved speeds, updated web browsing experience and to enjoy an upgraded battery life. Furthermore, the AOKP system can be used if you will want to overclock your Android device, or for removing the bloatware as you will have access to the internal system of your phablet.
Now, if you want to obtain all that, you will have to complete this tutorial for installing the official AOKP Android 4.4.2 KitKat software on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 – do remember that the steps from below are being compatible with almost all the Note 2 models (Verizon / AT&T / T-Mobile / Sprint / LTE).
But first, before heading to the proper flashing procedure, you will have to prepare your Android device. In order to do so, you have to:
- Root your Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
- Install the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery on your device; else you will not be able to properly flash AOKP firmware on your smartphone.
- Backup the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your device. I recommend you to backup at least your contacts list, text messages, call logs, EFS folder, internet settings and personal data, info and accounts.
- Also, use the custom recovery image you have just installed and make a Nandroid backup. In this way you will be able to save the current ROM – if you will not enjoy AOKP, then you will be able to safely restore your favorite firmware.
- Make sure you can use a computer or notebook; also ensure that you can use your Galaxy Note and its USB cable.
- On the computer you are using first of all deactivate the antivirus, antimalware and the other security programs – these tools might interfere with the update operation.
- Also, you handset must be charged or at least 50% power should be left; else you need to charge your GN 2 before going any further – if your phablet gets turned off in the middle of the installation procedure, it might also get bricked.
- From path “menu – settings – developers options” you need to enable the USB debugging option since a connection between your phone and your computer will have to be established.
- Remember that this tutorial is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 models Verizon / AT&T / T-Mobile / Sprint / LTE. Installing AOKP Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM on other Android device by using this guide is not indicated.
Be aware as by performing the root operation, the internal system of your device will be unlocked – the default and factory restrictions will be removed. So, gaining root access isn’t official. Because of that when completing the same the warranty of your smartphone will get void. Unfortunately, for restoring the warranty you will have to downgrade your Note 2 to stock Android Jelly Bean OS. Of course, then the root access will be revoked and the AOKP firmware replaced with the official Android software.
As for the backup operation which has been mentioned above, you need to consider in applying the same because on the update procedure a wipe will be required. Actually you will have to wipe the system and clear the cache. Now, when wiping the Android system you can lose everything that’s saved on your device. So, because of that a backup is strongly recommended when dealing with such operations like the present update one.
How to Install AOKP Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy Note 2 (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and LTE models)
- First of all you have to download the required files on your computer.
- You can get the AOKP Android 4.4.2 file by using the following links: for Verizon go here; for AT&T use this page; for Sprint use the link from here; for T-Mobile go here; for the LTE model of Galaxy Note 2 use this page.
- Also, from here you need to download Google Apps package.
- These files must be placed on your computer; don’t unzip the same though.
- Now connect your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with your computer; plug in the USB cable for establishing the mentioned connection.
- Transfer the files downloaded before from your computer on your phablet’s SD card.
- Then remove the USB cord and turn off your device.
- Up next, enter recovery mode on your Note 2.
- From recovery first wipe the system and clear the cache.
- So, select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition”, “advance” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Then return to main menu of recovery and pick “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the AOKP Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS and flash the firmware on your smartphone.
- Repeat the process and apply the Google apps package.
- In the end, from recovery select “reboot system now” as you are finally done.
Congratulations; you have applied the Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Verizon / AT&T / T-Mobile / Sprint / LTE. AOKP custom ROM firmware is running on your phablet now, so what do you say? Are you enjoying the new Android software, or you rather choose to go back the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS? Feel free and share your thoughts with us and with other users who might want to try this guide by using the comments field from below.