AOKP team continue their work on releasing a stable build of their KitKat custom ROM. Now, the Nightly builds are available for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 device and you can successfully learn how to flash it using the instructions that I’ve listed in this post.
The AOKP KitKat Nightlies are based on Android 4.4.2 AOSP, it contains some of its own created elements as well as some other components from CyanogenMod and ParanoidAndroid custom ROMs. Learn more about AOKP by reading their blog page here.
Before starting the installation process you will have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this guide only with the Sprint variant of Samsung Galaxy S4.
- do not attempt to update any other smartphones or devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your Sprint Galaxy S4 has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP custom Recovery builds.
- in case the custom Recovery installed on your device isn’t running the latest Recovery, then you will not be able to flash any new KitKat custom ROMs.
- make sure that the custom Recovery is updated and only then continue with the tutorial.
- in the tutorial you will find the NANDROID ROM backup and Factory Reset steps, do not skip them.
- the NANDROID ROM Backup creates a Restore Point for your phone.
- Factory Reset wipes the data from system partition and allows you to clean install the new AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightly ROM on your phone.
- Factory Reset doesn’t wipe data from internal nor external storage.
- backup data from installed apps, SMS and other similar files using Helium for Android.
- sync Contacts info with the default Gmail account you’ve assigned for your phone.
- this guide is for advanced users, do not skip any steps and you should be able to complete the guide in under ten minutes.
- do not blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any data in the process.
- check the battery of your device, make sure that the charge level is over 50%, so that the Sprint Galaxy S4 will not switch off in the middle of the AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightly installation.
- if you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for extra help in comments.
Since you’ve gone past all of the above you can continue to the next part of this how-to guide.
Flash AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightly ROM for Sprint Galaxy S4:
- Download the AOKP Nightly KitKat zip from here.
- that’s the latest builds released at the moment this post was created, check aokp.co for newer builds.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 ROMs from here.
- Connect the Sprint Galaxy S4 to your PC, then move both zip files to its internal storage.
- after the files are copied to your phone you can disconnect it from your PC.
- do not unzip the archived contents of the zip files.
- Power off your Galaxy S4 now.
- Next, boot the phone in CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
- if you can’t boot recovery, read this post.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM:
- CWM: select the ‘backup and restore’ option, then name the file and confirm process.
- TWRP: press Backup, name the file. Swipe to confirm Backup.
> don’t skip the step.
- Now apply the Factory Reset:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe option and then swipe to confirm process.
> don’t skip this step unless your device already sports a previous AOKP Kitkat official Nightly build.
> note that in case you skip this step and the phone doesn’t boot after you flash the new ROM build, then you will be forced to repeat the guide and apply this step.
> also, if the phone doesn’t boot, then you can try and apply “Format /system” option, too.
- Finally, flash the AOKP KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly ROM:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Find the ROM file, confirm its installation.
- TWRP: press Install, find the file, load it into TWRP menu. Swipe to confirm installation.
> don’t press any buttons until the process is finished.
- Install Gapps zip now using the same options as in step 8.
- After the new ROM is installed you can get back to the main Custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot the Sprint Galaxy S4 in normal AOKP Android 4.4.2 KK Nightly mode.
- note: the first boot process will take several minutes to load, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen appears.
- Enter your Google Account info in order to take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash a Nightly build of AOKP Android 4.4.2 ROM for Sprint Galaxy S4.
If you need any extra help you should use the comments field below.