AOKP Android 4.4.2 KitKat is now available for the Galaxy S4 T-Mobile version. If you want to learn how to update your phone, then you can follow the instructions listed in this post below.
Learn more about AOKP and their AOSP Android 4.4.2-based work by visiting their website here. This custom ROM is one of the most popular releases and you will probably notice some elements from CyanogenMod and Paranoid Android while testing the new builds.
AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightlies will remove all bloatware from your Galaxy S4 and install a more pure KitKat OS on your phone, so that you will get the best out of it in terms of performance and functionality.
Read the guidelines below before starting the updating process:
- use this post only with the T-Mobile version of Samsung Galaxy S4.
- do not attempt to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your device has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- TWRP should also work with your phone, but we didn’t manage to test it.
> note that whichever custom Recovery you have installed on your device, then you will make sure to update it to its latest version before starting the AOKP KitKat installation.
- a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM and a Factory Reset are required.
- these steps are listed in the tutorial and you should not skip them.
> Factory Reset will wipe all data from your phone’s system partition, while the internal and external storage will be left unaffected.
- backup data from installed apps using Helium for Android — here.
- sync Contacts data and People details with your default Gmail account you’ve set for your device.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- charge the phone’s battery, so that the power level is over 50% – it will prevent the TMO Galaxy S4 from switching off during the installation of AOKP Android 4.4.2 ROM.
- this is a guide for advanced Android users, do not blame us in case you lose any data or get your phone bricked in the process.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this guide and learn how to update your phone with the new ROM.
Flash AOKP KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly from T-Mobile Galaxy S4:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- Power off the phone, then boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- if you don’t know how to boot recovery, learn with this guide.
- First, create the NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’, set a name for the file and then confirm process.
- Now you need to apply the Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- Install the brand new AOKP KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly for your phone:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the new ROM and then confirm its installation.
- After the ROM has been flashed you need to repeat step 7 actions and flash the Gapps zip.
- Return to the main custom Recovery menu when done with the installation process.
- Reboot your T-Mobile Galaxy S4 in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process of AOKP KitKat Nightly takes at least five minutes to load, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen of your new ROM appears.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your TMO Galaxy S4.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your device with a brand new Android 4.4.2 custom ROM.
For any other questions you should use the comments field below.