AOKP team has released the KitKat Nightlies for the Verizon Galaxy S3. Use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully update your device.
Note that this is a custom ROM created by the AOKP team, it is based on AOSP Android 4.4.2, CyanogenMod and Paranoid Android. Besides all the foreign features you will find elements created by the AOKP team, more info on this release here on their blog.
Read the guidelines before starting the installation:
- this is a post that is destined to be used only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.
- don’t attempt to update any other phones with the files that you will find in this article.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest build of CWM or TWRP Recovery.
- this guide contains info for CWM Recovery.
- if you have TWRP, then you have to apply the corresponding actions from CWM and it will work.
- do not skip any steps that I’ve listed in the tutorial.
- the Factory Reset one will wipe the system partition, but it will not affect internal / external storage.
- NANDROID ROM Backup creates a restore point for your phone, so you will have a backup in case the new ROM doesn’t boot.
- backup data from installed apps, SMS and other similar data using the Helium tool for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your Gmail account – here you can learn how to do it in case you cannot sync such data.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and make sure that you know what you’re doing before starting installation.
- this is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick your phone or lose any data files.
- check the battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone won’t power off during the update.
Continue to the next part now and make sure to use the comments field in case you cannot complete the guide.
Flash AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightly for Verizon Galaxy S3:
- Download the ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.2 ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone to computer, then move both zip files to its internal storage.
- disconnect your phone from PC when the transfer is complete.
- Power off the phone and then boot it in CWM Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDROID ROM Backup:
- select ‘backup and restore’, set a name for the file and confirm process.
- Apply Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- Now you can flash the AOKP KitKat Nightly for your Verizon Galaxy S3:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM zip file and confirm installation.
- Repeat step 7 actions for the installation of Gapps zip.
- Get back to the main custom Recovery screen and then reboot your device in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes several minutes to load all new files.
- Use Google Account in order to take control over your phone.
Now that you’ve completed installation of AOKP Android 4.4.2 Nightly ROM on your Verizon Galaxy S3 you can start testing all of its new features.
If the guide fails, then you should repeat it from step 1 and the second time make sure not to skip any of the listed steps.