Install AOKP ICS 4.0 Android Custom ROM On SE Xperia Neo
AOKP is a custom ROM that you can use to install the Ice Cream Sandwich right on your SE Xperia Neo with just a few firmware files and applications.
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is great and every Android user should have it installed on their devices, but, since not all smartphones will receive this update, users need to install custom ROMs such as AOKP and experience the ICS operating system. The AOKP custom ROM has been created and launched by an XDA community user, kormatoes, and by reading all the instructions in this post you will learn how to successfully apply the changes on your Xperia Neo smartphone. This update can be installed only on the MT15i model number and do not think about installing it on another device because it won’t work.
Please note that the current build might have some bugs as not all functions and AOKP settings are fully supported by the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 and all the errors will be fixed with future releases. Before we can move to the tutorial guide you need to learn how to properly prepare your device for the AOKP installation. Here’s what you need to do:
- First, you need to backup all your important files like videos, audio, pictures and other things that you might need after the installation is complete. Such action is required because during the AOKP custom ROM installation, the files that are stored on your phone might get corrupted or lost. Move the files on your device’s SDcard as that will be the only storage part left unchanged or, alternatively, move them on your computer using the USB cable.
- Create backups of your bookmarks, applications and the APN and MMS Settings just in case the data connection won’t be available after the AOKP ROM is applied.
- If you wish, you can create backups of SMS text messages and the Call Logs using two specific applications: SMS Backup & Restore Android App / Call Logs Backup and Restore app.
- Contacts can be easily synced with your Gmail account. In case you don’t know how to do it then you should this tutorial guide here.
- SE XPeria Neo should be rooted and have its bootloader unlocked. Learn how to unlock your bootloader by reading the official instructions here. Also, your PC should have the ADB software installed.
- Enable USB debugging from your phone’s Settings menu.
- The battery charge levels on your phone should be over 70% so that the Xperia Neo won’t discharge during the new firmware installation.
Also, we cannot be held responsible for any problems your phone might develop during the updating process. Make sure that you have read all the info above and that you will read twice every single step before applying them on your smartphone.
How to install AOKP custom ROM on SE Xperia Neo smartphone:
- Download the AOKP custom ROM firmware zip file from here. Save it on your computer.
- Now download the Google Apps package from here. This will need to be flashed after you apply the custom ROM and it will add the Google applications like Gmail, Gtalk, Play Store, Calendar etc.
- Connect your Xperia Neo to your PC and then move the files you’ve downloaded at step 2 on your phone’s SDcard.
- Download the kernel needed to flash the AOKP ROM from here. Extract its contents on your PC and you should get a file named cm9.zip.
- Download the fastboot utility from here. This will help you flash the kernel you’ve downloaded at the previous step. Fastboot zip should be extracted to a folder named ‘fastboot’ and it should feature four files. Move the file downloaded at step 4 and place it in the fastboot folder, which will now contain five files.
- Now that you’ve applied all the steps above you will need to connect your smartphone to your PC and we will need to put it into fastboot mode. First, connect the USB cable to your PC and then take your phone and hold the Menu button and only now you should plug the USB cable into your smartphone.
- Launch the command prompt on your PC.
- In command prompt you will need to enter the following commands: cd:\Fastboot and fastboot flash boot cm9.ing. Press enter after you’ve entered both line and it will flash the kernel.
- After the kernel has been successfully flashed you should see a confirmation message in the command prompt screen. Now you can disconnect the Xperia One from your PC.
- Power ON the smartphone and wait until it displays the kernel logo and when you see the blue LED lightening up you need to start the BACK key repeatedly until it boots your phone into recovery mode.
- When in recovery mode you need to select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ and confirm the action. Wait until the data wiping is completed.
- Now you need to select ‘install zip from sdcard’ option and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse until you find the AOKP custom ROM zip file you’ve downloaded at step 1 and moved on your phone’s SDcard at step 3. Confirm its actions and wait until the new ROM is successfully installed.
- Select ‘++Go Back++’ and repeat step 12, only that now you will need to install the ‘gapps’ zip file. This will install Google applications for your phone. Wait until this process is complete.
- Go back to the main recovery screen and select ‘reboot system now’. Wait until the first boot of AOKP is completed. In case this takes too long, let’s say 20 minutes, then you will need to remove the battery and repeat all the steps above as something went wrong and the new firmware wasn’t successfully installed.
That’s it, now your Sony Ericcson Xperia Neo should be running on the AOKP 4.0 ICS custom ROM firmware that is also using the CM9 kernel files. If you have any other questions then you should use the comments folder to post them and I will try to help you to get over any troubles during the installation process. Make sure to check other areas of our website as you should find multiple other helpful tips and tricks that will help you improve your Android device.