The latest version of AOKP has been made available and now the platform can be easily installed on almost all the Android based handsets out there, though you will have to follow and complete a suitable step by step guide that can be applied on your device. Anyhow, in order to help you out, today, we will be checking on how to update the Sprint version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to custom Jelly Bean 4.2.2 by installing the AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly custom ROM firmware into its system.
Like any other custom ROM software, AOKP is a free aftermarket distribution of the Android system. The present version of AOKP, JB-MR1 nightly is based on stock Android 4.2.2 OS, so the latest features and apps will be installed on your Galaxy Note 2 LTE SPH-L900. Also, as this is a custom ROM, you will receive extra features that cannot be found in the default version of the JB 4.2.2 firmware. Furthermore, the software will come with its own capabilities and looks, which means that you will be able to change, upgrade and personalize the user interface and the performances by your own taste.
So, you will not only update your Sprint Note 2 with a custom variant of JB with the AOKP MR1 nightly build but you will also be able to improve the performances, gain more speed, upgrade the battery life, customize and optimize the internal system and gain access to the same. Therefore, you have all the reasons to complete this tutorial.
Start the update operation with a root procedure, because your Galaxy Note 2 must be rooted; else you can’t apply the AOKP JB 4.2.2 ROM on your phablet. Unfortunately, by unchaining the system you will also void the warranty of your smartphone. This is happening because you will make important and unofficial changes on your device’s OS and system. Don’t worry as the process is not permanent: you can restore the warranty by downgrading / updating to stock / official Android OS.
Next, you need to install CWM recovery, or any other custom recovery image on your Note 2. The stock recovery that comes pre-installed on any Android based handsets can’t be used when dealing with unofficial updates – that’s our case too. After rooting and installing the custom recovery you are ready for the flashing operation.
But, in order to avoid the unpleasant situations, you will also have to:
- Backup the contacts list, the text messages and call logs.
- Also, save the market apps, internet settings and EFS folder.
- Don’t forget the current ROM, as if you won’t like the AOKP platform then, you will prefer to restore the current OS – so complete a Nandroid backup by using the custom recovery image.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Note 2 and charge the battery or else you will risk in bricking your device – if it will get turned off while you will try to install the AOKP MR1 nightly firmware.
- A computer, your device and the USB cable is being required.
- You need to uninstall, or just deactivate for a few minutes the antivirus and any other security protection that is running on both computer and phablet.
Now you have all the info necessarily for the update operation which means that you can safely beging the flashing procedure. Remember that this guide is risky so if anything bad happens we shouldn’t be help responsible. Also complete this step by step guide only for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model number SPH-L900. This guide is compatible only with the mentioned device so the AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly ROM will work only with the same.
How to Install AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly on Sprint Galaxy Note 2 (JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM)
- First you need to download the update file (use the link from here) and the Google Apps package (use the link from here) on your computer.
- Note: don’t unzip the files.
- Then, you will have to copy-paste the files on your handset.
- Note: use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- After that, unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off your handset and reboot into recovery mode.
- Note: for recovery press and hold Volume Up, Power and Home buttons at the same time.
- From recovery first select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu of recovery – select “+++go back+++”.
- And from there select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Get the firmware file; install the AOKP ROM.
- Then, repeat the same operation and apply the Google Apps package.
- When the installation procedure is over you can end the process by selecting “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you have updated your Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS via AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly custom ROM firmware. For further tutorials suitable with your device, check our previous guides; also stay close as new articles will be developed. Use the comments are from below if you want to talk with us, or if you want to share your experience with other users that might be interested in applying the AOKP software on their Galaxy Note 2.