The Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean flavor is ready to update the Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 handsets as the latest AOKP custom ROM firmware has just been made available. The Galaxy S is maybe one of the most popular smartphones worldwide so this OS update will be well received by many Android users, especially if we consider (according to Samsung)that there won’t be any official Jelly Bean release for the I9000 phones. Anyway, by completing this step by step guide you will be able to learn how to easily install the AOKP ROM on your beloved device.
Beside the fact that you will be able to update the Galaxy S OS to the latest Android platform available, you will also manage to improve the performances of your smartphone. The S has decent specs, though we might say that some improvements are more than welcomed. Therefore, by flashing the Jelly Bean based AOKP firmware on your GT I9000 you will be able to customize and optimize its capabilities. More, the speed will be increased, the battery life improved, the RAM memory optimized, the system unchained, opened for changes and the looks improved. As we are dealing with a custom ROM, the classic Android interface will be replaced by a new one, as well as all the appearance of your smartphone.
But, for being able to get all these, your phone must be running on the XXJW4 firmware. If not, go and apply the same first. Then, you must root the XXJW4 software so that you can remove the factory restrictions out from the system. Of course, when you gain root access, the warranty will get void and the only way in which you can regain it is by downgrading to the stock ROM, when the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked. Furthermore, after this you must install a custom recovery image, which will be used for the backup process, for wiping the data and for flashing the update file from the SD card.
As you can tell, a backup is more than necessarily. As already mentioned, a wipe of the system will be required, so your personal info will be wiped out. Without this you will not be able to properly run the new ROM on your device. So, the backup is not an option for you. If you don’t know how to complete such an operation here are some tips that might help you out:
- Use a computer for saving the images or video files.
- Sync with Google for saving and restoring the contacts.
- Download SMS backup and restore apps.
- Download Call log backup and restore apps.
- Save the internet settings.
- Backup Market apps.
- Use the custom recovery image for backing up / restoring the current ROM.
Beside the backup you should also complete other preparation tasks. But before that, you must know that the present update isn’t coming from Samsung and has nothing to do with the already mentioned company. Furthermore you agree that by installing the Jelly Bean based AOKP custom ROM on your Galaxy S GT I9000 the warranty will be lost. Be careful in what you do and apply this tutorial only for the Galaxy S handsets model number GT I9000 and not for similar devices as you can brick them. Now, you can complete the pre requisites.
- On the computer you will use and on your phone, deactivate the security tools because usually, these programs are interfering with the installation procedure.
- Root the XXJW4 firmware.
- Install a custom recovery image.
- Then, charge your handset (there should be at least 60% power left) for ensuring that it will not turn off in the middle of the process.
- Enable the USB debugging option from the settings of your device.
After taking care of the preparation tasks (don’t skip sections from the guide because you can end up in bricking the phone) you can safely complete the steps and update the Galaxy S. Do all as explained below and everything should be just fine.
How To Install AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1.1 ROM on Galaxy S GT I9000
- For the first step, you need to ensure that you have access to a Windows running computer, to your phone and to its USB cord.
- Then, from here, download the AOKP update file.
- Save the same on the PC.
- Next, take the handset and its USB cable and by using both connect the device with the computer.
- Cope and then paste the file from the PC to the smartphone.
- Remove the USB cable.
- Turn off the Galaxy S.
- Reboot and enter in recovery mode.
- You can do this by pressing on Volume Up Key and Center button while powering on.
- From recovery first wipe the system: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, hit “+++go back+++”.
- From the recovery, now select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Up next pick the downloaded file from above and install the same on your phone.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Well, this is it. Now your Samsung Galaxy S GT I9000 is running the latest AOKP custom ROM firmware, so it was updated to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean OS. If you can’t restart your handset you must remove the battery, reinsert the same and then re-do all the steps from above. If you somehow can’t manage to install the update do tell us which the issues are so that we can try to help you out. Also, test the new ROM and see how it performs and in the end share your impressions with us and with other users. If you don’t like the AOKP firmware, you can anytime choose to flash another update from our how to section.