AOKP Milestone 2 custom ROM by the Android Open Kang Project is now live and you can install it on your International variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. Use this guide as you will learn how to properly flash this new ROM without damaging your device. The instructions listed here should be applied by advanced Android users, make sure to read the entire post before starting the installation.
If you want to learn more about the AOKP M2 ROM then you should take a look at this news article. In order to make sure that you can install the new ROM at your first attempt, you need to read the guidelines below first. Here’s what you need to know in order to successfully update your device with AOKP’s take on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 International variant.
- Do not attempt to install the files you find here on any other Android devices nor Galaxy S3 smartphones, as you will end up bricking them.
- The Galaxy S3 that you’re about to update should be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom ROM recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
- You need to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM before installing the new ROM. This will act as a cover for your device and you can use it in case something goes wrong during / after teh installation. This step can be found in the tutorial too.
- In order to successfully install the new AOKP M2 ROM, you will first be forced to apply a factory reset for your device, which means that you will lose all the data from the system partition. This means that all installed apps data, SMS and other similar files will be removed in the process.
- Factory Reset will not affect the internal / external SDcard contents.
- If you want to backup installed apps data, then you should look for a working tool at Google’s Play Store.
- To backup SMS, Call Logs info and other similar data then you can use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these apps.
- Make sure to sync your Contacts info with the Gmail account you’ve assigned as default for your Galaxy S3. This action will act as cover in case you lose any save phone numbers or contacts data in the process.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- This tutorial is destined to be used by advanced Android users and you shouldn’t blame us in case you lose data or you brick your smartphone in the process.
- Read this entire tutorial first and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed in this post.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully flash a custom ROM for your smartphone. In case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to install AOKP Milestone 2 based on Android 4.2.2 JB for International Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download the AOKP M2 ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC via USB cable.
- Now copy both zip files to your smartphone’s internal SDcard. When the files are copied, disconnect the device from PC and then power it off.
- Boot your device into CWM or TWRP Recovery mode.
> if you don’t know how to do it then use the info I’ve listed here.
- When you’re at the main Recovery screen you should create a NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM.
> for CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’. Create the backup and then you can continue to the next part of this post.
> for TWRP Recovery: press Backup, select the system parts you wish to backup and then confirm.
- Now, you need to factory reset your Galaxy S3 I9300 before installing the new AOKP M2 ROM:
> for CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then Confirm.
> for TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Install the custom ROM files:
> for CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard. Find the AOKP Milestone 2 zip and install it.
> for TWRP: press INSTALL and then find the AOKP M2 ROM zip. Confirm the install by sliding to the right the bottom blue bottom.
- When the ROM is installed with success, you need to repeat step 8 and install Gapps zip.
- After both zip files are flashed, return to the main Recovery Mode screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now.
- The first boot process of this new AOKP Milestone 2 ROM shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to load all the required files.
- Enter your Google Account details when the welcome screen of the new ROM appears. That should be all, you’ve successfully flashed a custom ROM for your device.
These were all the steps that your had to take and now you can start testing the new OS and its functions and features. Make sure to go through all the Settings new menus and customize every single part of your device. AOKP Milestone 2 brings tons of new tools that should allow you to improve your overall Android experience. In case you have problems with the new ROM installation, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial once again until you manage to flash all the required files. Custom ROMs might not always install at your first attempt, which is why you can retry multiple times until you manage to flash all files.
If you don’t like this new ROM, then you can easily restore your Samsung Galaxy S3 to its previous ROM using the NANDROID backup files you created in step 6. Use the same Custom Recovery mode to restore the backed up files. In case you have any other questions regarding the AOKP Milestone 2 ROM or the Samsung Galaxy S3, then you can post them in our comments field below.
AOKP Milestone 2 ROM can be updated easily with new build by using the Settings menu of your Samsung Galaxy S3. Check the info listed under System Updates.