Install AOKP Milestone 2 for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android 4.2.2 JB build)
The AOKP team continues their work on the new Milestone 2 build for their Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully upgrade your Verizon Galaxy S4 phone without bricking it.
AOKP Milestone 2 comes with tons of new features and adds more stability than it did before. If you want to learn more about this new Android 4.2.2 JB based ROM, then you can read this news article here. This is an official AOKP build and not a Samsung / Verizon stock ROM, which is why it will work only with rooted devices with a custom Recovery installed on them.
This new custom ROM comes with tools that should allow you to easily customize almost any parts of your device’s UI, which is great, as you can set and force your device to work just like you want it. Besides AOKP, only CM and ParanoidAndroid custom ROMs are able to offer that much functionality and improvements for a smartphone.
Before starting this installation you will first need to read the guidelines that I’ve listed below:
- use this tutorial only with the Verizon variant Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone.
- don’t attempt to update any other Galaxy S4 version with the files that I have listed in this post.
- your smartphone has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running CWM or TWRP Recovery mode. Without these you won’t be able to flash any new custom ROMs on your device.
- use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will serve as a restore point and it can be used in case your device doesn’t boot with the new OS.
- the tutorial contains a step that will ask you to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ the phone, which means that you will lose all the contents that are stored in your device’s system partition.
- the contents of the internal / external SD card won’t be affected by the factory reset, which means that all data will stay intact.
- in order to backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, use these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Some of these apps require root access, which is why you should grant it.
- if you plan on backing up any app data, then you should use some apps from Google Play Store.
- backup Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- enable the USB debugging option from the Developer Options menu.
- make sure that your device’s battery has enough power left before completely discharging and forcing you to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
- in case you have problems completing this tutorial, then you can ask for extra help in comments and we will offer you viable solutions.
In case you’re running an older AOKP build then you might think that you can flash this new one over it, but you should avoid that. Make sure to apply ‘factory reset’ before starting the installation. You can find out more about this in the tutorial guide below.
How to flash AOKP Milestone Android 4.2.2 JB for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4:
- Download the AOKP M2 zip from HERE.
> save the file on your computer and don’t unzip the contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 based ROMs from HERE.
> don’t unzip.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC and then move both zip files onto your smartphone’s internal SDcard.
- After the files are copied, disconnect the SGS4 from computer.
- Boot your device into Custom Recovery mode. If you don’t know how to boot in Recovery, use the info listed here.
> both TWRP and CWM Recovery modes will work with this guide.
- Now, create a NANDROID backup using the Custom Recovery mode:
> for CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ and then confirm that you wish to make such backup.
> for TWRP: press ‘Backup’, select the things you wish to backup, set backup name and then ‘swipe to back up’.
- Next, wipe data and factory reset your device.
> for CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> for TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset and confirm.
- Now that you’ve applied all of the above, you need to flash the new ROM file.
> for CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP M2 ROM zip and install it.
> for TWRP: press Install, then browse your device for the ROM file. Confirm the installation.
- When the ROM files are successfully flashed, return to the main Custom Recovery menu. You need to flash the Gapps zip just like you did with the ROM.
- Since you’ve applied all the steps above, it means that both the AOKP M2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM and the Google apps zip were flashed successfully. Reboot your device using the main Recovery screen option.
- The first boot process of this new ROM should take several minutes before it completes loading all the required files. Enter your Google Account details when the home screen appears.
- Take control over your phone and then start testing all of its new features.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to flash a custom ROM for your Galaxy S4 Verizon phone. If the ROM didn’t install at your first attempt or the phone doesn’t go past the Samsung boot animation logo, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again. The second time you attempt to update your device, you should make sure to apply the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ step. This is one of the most important steps besides the AOKP M2 installation.
I hope that you found this guide useful and that you’ve managed to install all files without problems. However, if you didn’t manage to correctly apply the update or you need any extra help, then you should ask for more help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment at the end of this post telling us exactly which steps you took and where you got stuck, so that we will be able to correctly determine where the problem is and help you fix the problems.
If you like how AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM works with your Verizon Galaxy S4, then you should know that you can continue updating it using the AOKP updating menu listed in Settings menu.