Install AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM build for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G
Android Open Kang Project team has officially launched the AOKP Milestone 2 ROM build with AOSP Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean as base OS. You can read all the info listed in this post and you’ll learn how to successfully flash all the required files in order to get this new ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G International version with TI OMAP CPU.
If you want to learn more about this new custom ROM and the work that AOKP team put into releasing it, then you should use this post here.
In order to make sure that you correctly install this new AOKP rom for your device, you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this tutorial only with the International variant of the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G. This is the device that runs on TI OMAP processor and not the Exynos model.
- Do not attempt to flash the files you find here on any other Android device as you will brick it.
- The I9100G Galaxy S2 device you’re about to update should be factory unlocked, fully rooted and running a custom Recovery image like TWRP or CWM.
- This tutorial contains instructions for both TWRP and CWM Recovery modes and how to install the AOKP M2 using their features.
- Before installing the ROM you will have to create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM, so that you’ll be prepared in case the phone gets bricked or you lose any important data in the process.
- Also, the tutorial will ask you to apply ‘factory reset’ before installing the ROM. That is why you should know that the contents stored on the system partition partition will be lost. This includes installed apps data, SMS, Call logs info and other similar data.
- If you want to save installed apps data, then you can use the Google Play Store and look for a working tool that can help you backup entire applications.
- To backup SMS, APN Internet Settings or Call Logs info use the following apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be needed for some of these apps.
- Make sure to sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account before starting the updating process.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Read all instructions and don’t skip any steps listed below, as that will result in a failed attempt of updating your device.
- This is a tutorial that you can complete in under 5 minutes, but it is still recommended to be applied by an advanced user.
- Don’t blame us in case you lose important data in the process or your brick your Galaxy S2 I9100G.
- If you have any problems installing the update, then you should ask for more help in comments.
- After the ROM is installed you should know that you can keep on updating it using the AOKP Updater that’s listed under the ‘About phone’ menu. Check periodically for updates in order to keep your device running the latest AOKP builds.
These were the guidelines you had to go over before starting the installation of AOKP M2 ROM. Make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed below.
How to install AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM build for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download AOKP M2 ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for ROMs based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean from here.
- Use the USB data cable and connect the Galaxy S2 I9100G with your computer.
- Copy both zip files to your device’s internal SDcard storage. After the files are copied, disconnect the I9100G device from PC.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot the Galaxy S2 I9100G into CWM or TWRP Recovery. After the main Recovery menu appears go to the next step.
- Now you need to create a NANDROID Backup of your current ROM:
> CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ menu. Create the backup and then continue with the rest of this tutorial.
> TWRP Recovery: press Backup, select the files you wish to save and Confirm.
- After the backup is complete you need to apply ‘factory reset’:
> CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option from the main recovery screen. Confirm the process.
> TWRP: press Wipe, then press the Factory Reset button. Confirm.
- Now you can install the AOKP M2 ROM:
> CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that select the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Browse the contents of your phone and find the AOKP M2 zip file, load it into CWM Recovery and then confirm the installation.
> TWRP: press the Insatll button, then find the AOKP M2 zip. Confirm that you wish to install it by sliding the blue button shown at the bottom of the screen.
- Next, flash the Gapps zip just like you did with the ROM file. When the installation is complete, go back to the main Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now.
> note that your device will take a while before completing the AOKP Milestone 2 first boot process, which is why you should wait until all files are loaded.
- Enter the default Google Account info that you wish to set as default for your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G.
- When the phone boots into normal mode then you are done with this tutorial. Start testing and customizing your brand new AOKP M2 custom ROM home screens.
I hope that you found this guide helpful and that you’ve managed to successfully update your device with the latest Milestone build from AOKP ROM. Note that you are now running a custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM. Remember that you can keep on updating your device with new AOKP builds using the AOKP Updater menu that is listed under About phone section.
In case the ROM doesn’t install at the first attempt, then you should power off the Galaxy S2 I9100G and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. For other problems that you might have with this tutorial, use the comments field below and we will try to find a viable solution for you.
If you don’t like how your Galaxy S2 I9100G runs under AOKP Milestone 2 ROM, then you can use the file created in step 7 and restore the phone to its previous state using the same Custom Recovery mode.