Install AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3
AOKP Milestone 2 is an official ROM by Android Open Kang Project, one of the most popular Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROMs currently availabe. Using this tutorial you will learn how to properly update your T-Mobile Galaxy S3 with the files found several lines below without problems.
If you want to learn more about the features comprised with this custom ROM then you should read this news article here. Before moving to the tutorial guide, you will first need to take a look at the preparation info below. You will learn how to correctly configure your device for the update. Here’s what you need to know:
- Use this post only with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Don’t try to flash the files you find here on any other Galaxy S3 device.
- Your phone has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as TWRP or CWM Recovery.
- Use the Custom Recovery mode to create full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This sets a restore point for your device and you can use it in case something goes wrong and the device doesn’t boot with the new OS.
- In the tutorial you’ll find a step that tells you to factory reset the device, do it. You will lose only the contents stored on the system partition such as installed apps, SMS and similar data.
- Use a tool from Google Play Store if you want to backup some data from installed applications.
- To backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings use these apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account using this guide here.
- Make sure that you have the USB Debugging enabled in Developer Options menu.
- The phone’s battery power levels should be over 50% before starting the installation, as it shouldn’t switch off in the middle of the process.
- This is a guide for advanced users.
- Don’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you lose important data or you brick your phone.
- Read the entire tutorial and do not skip any of the steps that I have listed below.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over before starting the updating process for your device. If you cannot complete the installation, then you can ask for extra help in comments and we will come up with a viable solution for your problems.
How to install AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download the AOKP M2 ROM build file from HERE.
- Download the Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE.
- Connect your SGS3 with your PC via USB data cable.
- Move both zip files onto your phone’s internal SD card. When the files are successfully copied, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off your Galaxy S3 now.
- Boot the device into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode.
> if you don’t know how to, then use the guide here.
- First you need to create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM:
> for CWM Recovery: select the ‘backup and restore’ option. Confirm that you wish to backup the currently installed ROM.
> for TWRP Recovery: press the Backup button, select the system files you wish to backup and confirm.
- Next, you need to factory reset your device:
> for CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> for TWRP: press WIPE, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Now you can install the AOKP Milestone 2 zip file:
> for CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP milestone 2 zip and confirm the installation.
> for TWRP: press Install, then you have to browse your device’s internal SDcard for the AOKP M2 zip. Confirm.
- After you manage to flash the ROM, you will need to install the GApps zip. Select the same options as in step 9 and flash the Gapps zip just like you did with the ROM zip.
- When both files have been installed, return to the main Recovery screen.
- Reboot system.
- Wait for the first boot process to load all required files and then you need to enter your Google Account details when the home screen of AOKP M2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM appears.
Test all the new features. If you didn’t manage to complete the update, then you can ask for more help in comments. Alternatively, you can choose to repeat the entire tutorial once again because sometimes Custom ROMs won’t install at the first attempt.
If you don’t like how the AOKP Milestone 2 ROM works with your T-Mobile Galaxy S3, then you should use the NANDROID backup file created in step 7 and restore it to its previous ROM.