Install AOKP Milestone 2 ROM build for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean)
AOKP team continues to release new build that are based on the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOSP ROM. If you follow the instructions listed in this post, you will learn how to successfully flash AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean for your Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3. Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps in the process.
Using this guide shouldn’t be hard to follow. You simply need to boot into Recovery Mode and then flash the ROM zip file and Gapps. All the info that you need is listed in the ‘how-to’ part of this guide.
Installing this new ROM is easy and if you want to learn more about its features, then you can check our article here. Updating your device is extremely easy and you can learn how to correctly prepare your Verizon Galaxy S3 using the guidelines below:
- use this guide only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 and don’t attempt to update any other variant of Galaxy S3 with the files that I have listed in this post.
- your device should be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery such as TWRP or CWM.
- in this post you will find instructions on how to update your device using both TWRP and CWM Recovery images.
- before installing the AOKP M2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM you should first create a backup of your current ROM. A step that teaches you how to do this can be found in the tutorial guide.
- in order to flash this new custom ROM successfully, you will first need to apply a ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. This shouldn’t be avoided.
- during the ‘factory reset’ all your /system contents will be removed in the process, which means that installed apps, SMS and other similar data will be removed in the process.
- the internal and external SD card storage won’t be affected by the ‘factory reset’.
- if you want to backup SMS, Call logs info and APN Internet Settings, then you will need to use these apps: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Some of these apps will require root access.
- if you plan on backing up installed app data, then you should search for a tool that can do that on Google Play Store.
- if you don’t want to lose any important phone numbers or contacts info, then you should sync Contacts with your Gmail account.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- make sure that your phone’s battery has enough power left in it before switching off. If the phone powers off in the middle of the installation process, you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- read this entire post and make sure not to skip any steps that I have listed below.
- this is a tutorial that should be used only by advanced Android users and you should know that we cannot be blamed in case you lose any data or you brick your device in the process.
Now that you’ve read all this info, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your device with a brand new AOKP build based on Jelly Bean 4.2.2. If you cannot complete the installation at your first attempt, then you should ask for extra help in comments and we will make sure to offer you a viable solution for whatever problems you might encounter.
How to install AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download the AOKP M2 ROM zip from here.
> save the file on your computer and do not unzip its contents.
- Download GApps zip for Android 4.2.2 custom ROMs from here.
> do not extract and save it on your PC.
- Now, connect your Verizon Galaxy S3 with your PC via USB cable.
- Move both zip files to your phone’s internal SDcard. After you copy these files disconnect the device from PC.
- Boot your phone into Custom Recovery Mode.
> if you don’t know how to do it, then use the info here.
- When you’re at the main Recovery menu, you should first create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM:
> for CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option and then create the backup file. Confirm and get to the next step when done.
> for TWRP Recovery: press Backup button, then create the NANDROID ROM backup file.
- Next, ‘factory reset’ your device so that the new AOKP M2 ROM will boot successfully into normal mode after installation:
> for CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> for TWRP: press Wipe button and then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Install the AOKP Milestone 2 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM now.
> for CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the AOKP M2 zip file and confirm the install.
> for TWRP: press Install and then browse your phone’s internal SDcard for the AOKP M2 file. Confirm.
- The installation process shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes to complete. When the installation is complete you will need to return to the main Recovery menu and REBOOT the phone.
- The first boot process of AOKP Milestone 2 ROM should take at least 4 minutes to complete. Wait until all files are copied and then you will be shown the home screen.
- Enter your Google Account info in order to take control over your device’s functions once again.
These were all the steps you had to follow in order to successfully update your smartphone with the latest AOKP Milestone 2 based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Make sure to test all of its features and functions.
If you don’t like how this new ROM works with your Verizon Galaxy S3, then you should use the backup files created in step 6 and restore it to its previous operating system. Also, make sure that before deciding to get rid of the AOKP M2, you should still try to tinker will all its options and settings, as you will be able to configure in any way you want.
If you have any problems installing the ROM, using it or changing some of its settings, then you can ask for extra help in comments.