AOSP NeatROM is another custom KitKat 4.4.2 ROM that you can flash for your Galaxy S3 I9300. Use this post in case you want to test this new custom ROM with your phone.
AOSP NeatROM Android 4.4.2 Custom ROM for Galaxy S3 I9300 is based on SlimKat builds and its main features are as following: Real Dark Slim interface, notification drawer shortcuts, support for rebinding all hardware keys, Nova Launcher set as default, Superuser, Darker Camera, Darker Gallery, revamped lockscreen target options, wake up on charge, volume rocker wake, volume rocker music control, enable / disable support for camera widget lockscreen, power connectivity alert, ascending ringtone, mute Camera shutter sound, Quiet hours, SlimCenter, CRT screen animation, battery icons, notification transparency, QuickSettings full customization support and tons of other great features that you can discover only by testing this new ROM.
More info about this custom ROM can be found at its Galaxy S3 XDA thread here.
Before starting the installation process you will first have to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300, this is the Exynos model.
- don’t attempt to flash the files that you will find in this post on any other Android device, as you will end up bricking its firmware.
- The Galaxy S3 I9300 that you’re about to update has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP Recovery image build.
- don’t use this guide in case the CWM / TWRP Recovery isn’t updated to its latest version.
> in this tutorial you will find instructions for CWM Recovery, but you can flash AOSP NeatROM with TWRP too — make sure to apply the correct corresponding actions.
- You should create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your smartphone.
- this step is shown in the tutorial part, you won’t miss it.
> this will set a restore point for your phone, so you will have a way out in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- You will also need to apply a Factory Reset for your smartphone.
- this will make sure that the new ROM will boot in normal mode after the installation is complete.
> do not skip this step, as it is listed in the tutorial.
- Backup data from installed applications, APN Internet Settings and SMS text messages using the following tools for Android: Helium | SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account.
- guide here for those who don’t know how to sync such data.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Your phone’s battery should have at least 40% power left before it switches off completely.
- Read the entire tutorial before starting the update and don’t skip any steps listed below.
- In case you cannot complete the guide, then you can ask for more help in the comments field.
Since you’ve read all of the above, continue to the next part of this article and learn how to successfully flash this new custom ROM for your device.
How to flash AOSP NeatROM KitKat for your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the ROM zip file from HERE.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from HERE.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC and then move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
> disconnect the phone from your PC after moving both file to your PC.
> do not unzip the contents of this zip files.
- Power off the Galaxy S3 I9300.
- Boot your phone in CWM Recovery Mode.
- if you don’t know how to boot recovery mode, then you should follow the info here.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM.
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and save it to your device’s internal / external storage.
- Now you have to apply the Factory Reset for your Galaxy S3.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm the process.
- Flash the new custom ROM for your device:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the NeatROM zip.
> confirm installation.
- After the process is complete you select again the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and flash Gapps zip.
- When both files are installed you should get back to the main custom Recovery menu.
- Reboot your device in normal mode now.
> note that the first boot process takes a while before loading all the new files.
- Enter your Google Account info and take control over your device.
> test all the new features and functions that are listed in this post.
These were all the steps that you had to go over in order to complete the installation of this new ROM. Ask for extra help in comments.