Install Avatar Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9305
Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE variant has received a new custom ROM named Avatar ROM. Use this tutorial and you will learn how to successfully install it on your phone in under 5 minutes.
The Avatar ROM is based on AOSP Android 4.2.2 and CyanogenMod 10.1 operating systems. It features a theme chooser, toggles page controls, fixed memory leaks, online theme server for downloading MIUI modified themes, preview mode, new boot animation, OTA Updater included, themeable lockscreen, support for complex gesture unlocking etc.
In order to make sure that you successfully install this custom ROM on your device, read the guidelines listed below:
- Use the tutorial only for the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9305. Don’t try to use the Avatar custom ROM files you find in this post on any other smartphones.
- The Galaxy S3 you’re about to update should be rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP. Without these you cannot complete the installation.
- If your device is rooted but, it doesn’t have a custom Recovery image installed then you can install ROM Manager for CWM Recovery or the GooManager for TWRP Recovery. Install one of these and then use it to install a custom recovery image.
- Use the Custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID of your current ROM. You will find this step in the tutorial, too. This will create a full system restore point for your device and you can use it in case you don’t like the new ROM or, in case some other thing goes bad and the phone doesn’t boot normally.
- The tutorial will ‘factory reset’ your device, which is why you will lose the installed apps, SMS, Call Logs and all the other data stored on the /system partition. The internal / external sdcards will not be deleted in the process. Use some of these tools to backup SMS and other files: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be required for some of these tools.
- Also, make sure to sync Contacts with your Gmail account.
- The phone’s battery power levels should be over 40% so that it won’t power off during the installation process.
- Make sure that the USB Debugging option is enabled.
- This guide is for advanced Android users. Android.gs cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong, the phone gets bricked or you lose data. Make sure that you know what you’re doing and that you know how to use a custom Recovery mode.
- In case you cannot complete the install or you need help completing it, then you should ask for more help in comments.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before getting to best part of this post. Don’t skip any steps listed in the tutorial as that will result with a failed installation.
How to install Avatar Android 4.2.2 JB custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9305:
- Download the Avatar Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM from here. Don’t unzip.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from here. Don’t unzip the file.
- Connect the phone to your PC and then move both files on to its internal SDcard. When the files are copied, disconnect the phone from PC and then switch off your SGS3.
- Boot your device into CWM / TWRP Recovery mode. You can do it by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power. Confirm that you wish to load custom Recovery mode and then continue to the next step. NOTE: I’ve used CWM Recovery for this post.
- When the main CWM Recovery mode screen appears, select ‘backup and restore’ option. Confirm that you wish to create a NANDROID backup. When done, continue to the next step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ from the main recovery menu. Confirm that you want to apply this step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Avatar ROM zip file and confirm that you wish to install it.
- When the custom ROM is finally installed, you will need to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ once again. Now, install the Gapps zip file. Confirm.
- After both files have been successfully flashed on your I9305 SGS3 device, you can return to the first Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait several minutes for the smartphone to boot into normal mode.
- Enter you Google account credentials and then take control over your device once again. Test the new ROM and tell us in comments which are your favorite features.
NOTE: if the first boot process of Avatar custom ROM doesn’t boot after 10 minutes, then you will need to power off the device completely. Remove its battery, re-insert it after 5 seconds have passed and then, repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4. You should manage to install the new ROM at your second attempt.
I hope that you managed to install the Avatar Jelly Bean custom ROM and that now you know your way around such files. In case the Google search force closes after installation, then you will need to go to Google Play Store and update it.
These were all the steps you had to take. In case you have any questions or you cannot install the ROM, then you should ask for more help in comments below.