Install Avatar Jelly Bean 4.3 Nightly ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100
This is a custom ROM created by the Avatar team and it is based on the Android 4.3 AOSP ROM. Use this post if you want to learn how to flash a brand new Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM on your Galaxy S2 I9100 International smartphone. For this guide to work you will need to know your way around custom Recoveries and flashing firmware files.
If you want to learn more about Avatar Android 4.3 Nightlies for Galaxy S2 , then you can take a look at the developer’s web page or at this XDA thread here. For you to manage to complete the installation at your first attempt, read the guidelines below:
- This article will work only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100.
- Don’t try to update any other Galaxy S2 variants. Only the Exynos SGS2 model works with the files I’ve posted.
- Your device has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery such as TWRP or CWM.
- For the installation to complete successfully you will need to apply a factory reset.
- Factory Reset removes all data from system partition and it allows you to apply a clean install of Avatar Android 4.3 ROM for your Galaxy S2.
- Backup data from installed applications using Helium (here) or Titanium Backup (here).
- SMS, Call Logs data and APN Internet Settings values can be backed up with these tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- In order to backup phone numbers and other Contacts info, then you should sync such data with your default Gmail account.
- in case you don’t know how to do it, then check the guide here.
- It is very important for you to create a NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
- it sets a restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM refuses to boot or in case, it installed, but it displays numerous force close errors.
- you’ll find the backup step in the tutorial.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left in it, so that the SGS2 won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- This post is for advanced users, don’t blame us in case you lose data files or brick the phone. Such custom ROMs are installed at your own risk.
- If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to flash Avatar Nightly Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download the Avatar Nightly 4.0.5 ROM build file from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect the phone to your PC via USB Cable, then copy both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
- when the files are moved, disconnect the device from PC.
- Now, boot your phone in custom Recovery Mode.
- it can be done by pressing and holding Home, Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time.
- release the buttons only when the Custom Recovery menu appears.
- note that both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are supported by this tutorial.
- First, create the NANDROID Backup of your currently SGS2 installed ROM:
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ option, then save the file on your device’s internal storage.
- TWRP: press Backup, rename the file and swipe to back up the installed ROM.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset for your device:
- CWM: use the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe the blue button at the bottom of the screen to confirm Factory Reset.
- Now you can flash the custom ROM files:
- CWM: use the ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Avatar Nightly zip and confirm the installation.
- TWRP: select Install, then find the ROM zip file. Confirm that you want to install with a simple swipe of the blue button.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat step 7 and flash the Gapps file as well.
- When you manage to complete the installation of both zip files, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your Galaxy S2 now and wait until it completes the first boot process with the new Avatar Android 4.3 custom ROM.
- Enter the Google Account info and take control over your device’s function right away. Start testing its new features and see how it works with this new ROM.
If the first boot process of Avatar ROM takes too long to complete or the Galaxy S2 enters into a boot loop, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again. Also, ask for more help in comments in case you cannot complete this tutorial.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow in order to successfully update your Galaxy S2 to Android 4.3 using Avatar Nightly 4.0.5 ROM files. In case you don’t like the new ROM features or how it works with your device, then you can always choose to restore the backup files of your previous ROM using the custom Recovery Mode and the file created in step 5.