Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your Galaxy S2 I9100G with the brand new Avatar Android 4.4 custom ROM. This is a guide for advanced Android users, which is why you should only use it if you’re an advanced user and you want to tinker with your smartphone’s OS.
For more info regarding this release you should take a look at this XDA thread here. Before starting the update you need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G.
– don’t attempt to update any other Android devices with the files that are listed in the tutorial, as you will brick the system.
- The Galaxy S2 I9100G has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP Recovery version.
– if the custom Recovery is not updated, then you won’t be able to flash a custom KitKat ROM.
- Make sure not to skip the step that tells you to create a full NANDROID Backup of the installed Galaxy S2 I9100G ROM.
– that process sets a restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode with Avatar KitKat build.
- Also, a factory Reset is required for your device prior to installing the new ROM.
– this step is listed in the tutorial too.
– note that the Factory Reset process will delete all data stored on the system partition, but it will leave the internal and external storage unaffected.
- Backup data from installed Android programs and apps along with SMS text messages using the Helium tool — link here.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account using the guide here.
- Enable the USB Debugging option for your phone from Developer Options menu.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 40%, so that the phone won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- This post is for advanced users, read the entire guide and don’t skip any steps that I’ve listed in the tutorial.
- If you have problems with the installation you can ask for more help in comments.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully setup your smartphone for the installation process.
How to flash Avatar KitKat 4.4 ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100G:
- Download the ROM zip from here.
- Download the Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your device to your PC, move both zip files to your Galaxy S2 internal storage.
– do not unzip the archived files.
> disconnect the phone from PC when all files are copied successfully.
- Power off the device.
- Boot it in CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode, as it depends which one is installed on it.
– custom Recovery can be booted using the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons simultaneously.
> release the buttons when the main menu of the Recovery mode appears.
- Create now a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then you need to name the file and confirm for the process to start.
– TWRP: press Backup, give a title for the backup file, and swipe to confirm process.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset for your device.
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, then swipe to confirm the Factory Reset.
> continue to the next step when done.
- Install the new Avatar ROM now:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM file and confirm process.
– TWRP: press Install, then you will need to find the zip. Swipe to confirm installation.
> do not press any buttons until the process is complete.
- After the ROM is installed you need to flash Gapps zip too. Use the same actions as it step 8.
- When all files are flashed you can get back to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device in Normal Mode:
– note that the first boot process takes a while before it loads all the new files, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the main home screen of Avatar KitKat ROM appears.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your Galaxy S2 once again.
These were the instructions that you had to follow in order to complete the installation of this new ROM.
If the first boot process doesn’t complete at your first attempt, then it would be best for you to try and repeat the entire tutorial. Custom ROMs might not always install at the first attempt, which is why you can repeat the guide by making sure that you won’t skip any steps that are listed above.
If you decide to repeat the guide, then you need to make sure that the Factory Reset step is applied successfully. Also, besides Factory Reset you can choose to apply the ‘Format /system’ action too. Ask for any extra help in comments and we will make sure to come up with solutions for any problems that you’ll encounter in your quest to update the phone.
NOTE: if you don’t like the new Avatar ROM or its features, then you can use the NANDROID ROM Backup file and restore your device to its previous OS state.