The Motorola Droid Razr is a powerful handset, the phone being extremely popular among users worldwide. That’s why, probably there are so many OS updates released for this smartphone lately; if you own such a device, you can choose to apply official software, unofficial ones, beta firmware and also several custom ROMs, all being available for download anytime you want. You have similar guides explained here on Android.gs, so for further info check them out and choose the update that suits your needs and expectations. Anyway, during the following, I will explain another method for updating your Droid Razr: by installing the new Black Widow Custom ROM Firmware.
The ROM is developed on the Ice Cream Sandwich platform, so it will bring the Android 4.0 experience to your Razr. Don’t expect to see the classic interface though, as the Black Widow is having its own looks. A screenshot with the firmware running on a Droid Razr handset is showed below. As you can see, Black Widow is really black and sober, but the effects included are pretty interesting.
Remember that the Balck Widow is a custom ROM, so it’s not a firmware released by Motorola. This means one thing: once you start applying the update, the warranty will be void. Not to mention that you need to gain root access firs, which also implies to lose the warranty. Therefore, if you are here, probably the warranty is already out of the question so you know all the negative aspects. Just make sure you follow this step by step guide and everything should be fine.
Also, don’t forget that each time you perform operations with your phone, the best way for avoiding the unpleasant situations is by making a full backup first. Do it even if you have done the same when rooting the Razr. If you have recently added info, or installed apps on it, you will risk losing them. For backing up the device we are recommending the usual operations. If you don’t like our tips, just save your data by your own method.
- Download SMS backup and restore for Android.
- Download Call log backup and restore for Android.
- Sync with Gmail account and backup the contacts.
- Save the images and video files on a computer or SD card.
- Backup the current ROM before installing this custom firmware. In case you don’t like the new software you can restore the previous ROM by using Clockworkmod recovery.
After you make sure that you have done the precaution stuffs, it’s time to see what you have to do for being able to update your Droid Razr with Black Widow. Don’t skip this section if you want to succeed.
- Root the Droid Razr first.
- Apply and follow this tutorial only if you have a Razr that runs the 6.12.17x – 6.12.181 version of firmware. If different, stop here as you can brick your phone.
- The phone’s battery should be full charged.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Uninstall all the security programs from your computer and smartphone.
Another aspect that you must consider before starting the proper procedure is linked to the features and capabilities included in the new firmware. You have all of them displayed in the picture from below.
Also, there are some bugs reported by the users who had already used the Black Widow custom ROM. According to them, the video recording is in progress but it doesn’t always working, there are issues with the HW Acceleration / Video codecs and there are some bugs with the Bluetooth connections.
That being said and as soon as you have noticed the up mentioned lines, you can go to the next and also final section of this step by step guide.
How to Install Black Widow Custom ROM Firmware on Motorola Droid Razr
- Download the Black Widow firmware file from here and place it to your computer.
- Download the Google apps from here and store the same on the PC.
- Connect the phone with the PC via its USB cable.
- Copy the files downloaded in step 1 and 2 from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the device and turn it off.
- Reboot and enter the recovery mode. You can do this by holding the Volume Up or Down button while powering the Razr on. When presented with the Boot Mode Selection Menu release all buttons and select the recovery mode option.
- In recovery mode choose “Wipe data/factory reset” and “Wipe Cache partition”.
- When done, return to the recovery home screen.
- Select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”; first pick up the update file and then the Google apps file.
- Wait until the installation procedure is over (a few minutes).
- Return to recovery mode menu by selecting “go back”.
- Select “reboot system now”.
Your Motorola Droid Razr is now running the new Black Widow custom ROM firmware. Ice Cream Sandwich is also included in the system, but with the Black Widow interface on top. Also, there are many features added, so you will have a more powerful ICS OS on your smartphone. Tell us if there were problems with our method, or if you had problems in understanding my explanations. If not, just enjoy this new firmware and check our guides for other updates.