Blackbean custom ROM is another release based on Android 4.1.1 and it can be installed on your Verizon variant of Samsung Galaxy S3 I535. Use all the instructions that I have listed in this post and you should be able to flash all files successfully at your first attempt.
Team BAKED and XDA member/ developer, travp624, created this release and nits main functions are the AOKP toggles, Power Widgets, customized MMS app and many others. It based on AOSP Android 4.1.1 and it is completely free of bloatware. It is a stable release and you will need to read the preparation guide below:
- use this guide only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I535. Do not attempt to install this custom ROM version on any other Android device.
- Your phone has to be rooted and CWM Recovery has to be installed on it. Without these you cannot install the new ROM.
- You need to create a full Nandroid backup of your current ROM. This will make sure that you are covered in case something goes wrong during the installation of this new BlackBean ROM.
- If you wish, you can use some tools to save a list of installed apps, create backups of SMS, Call Logs and APN INternet Settings: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. The tutorial contains a step that tells you to wipe data and factory reset the device, that will remove all data from your system’s partition.
- Also, sync your Contacts with your Gmail account.
- Remember to charge the phone’s battery so that the device won’t power off during the installation of Blackbean Android 4.1.1 custom ROM.
- We cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong and you cannot use your device after installing the new files. This is a tutorial for advanced users and you should carefully apply all the steps that I’ve listed.
- Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps in the process.
Get to the next part of this article when you think that you’ve backed up all your important data.
How to install Blackbean Android 4.1.1 JB custom ROM on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 I535:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from HERE. Save this file on your PC and don’t unzip its files.
- Download the Gapps for this ROM from HERE. Don’t extract its contents.
- Connect your SGS3 Verizon phone to your PC and then move the zip files on your phone’s internal SD card.
- Disconnect the device from PC and then power it off.
- Boot your phone into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing Volume Up, Home and Power. Release these buttons only when the screen shows the main Recovery menu.
- If you don’t have a backup of your current ROM, then you should select ‘backup and restore’. Create such file. If you already have one, then you can get to the next step directly.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this process.
- Next, choose ‘mounts and storage’ and then ‘format /system’ option. Confirm.
- Now, select ‘install zip from SDcard’ and then ‘choose zip from SD card’. Find the custom ROM zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- After the Blackbean ROM is installed, select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Gapps file zip and install it.
- When both the ROM and the Gapps files are installed you can get to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- The Verizon SGS3 now starts the first boot process with this new ROM. This shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes.
- When the home screen of Blackbean and Android 4.1.1 appears you need to enter your Google Account details.
- Test the new custom ROM and tell us in comments which is its best feature.
NOTE: If the phone doesn’t complete the first boot process, then you will need to remove its battery. After 5 seconds have passed you should re-insert the battery and after that you need to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 5. The Blackbean JB custom ROM will install at your second attempt.
Custom ROMs might not install at the first attempt and that is why you should keep trying until you manage to install it. Make sure that you apply the instructions listed in steps 7 and 8, as without wiping data you cannot flash this new Blackbean JB release.
In case you don’t like the new ROM, then you can run CWM Recovery. Use it to restore the backup file of your previous ROM and your device will be restored to its previous state. If you have any other problems or you think that you cannot complete the installation, then you can easily ask for extra help in comments and we will try to help you.