Install Carbon Android 4.3 AOSP Custom ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3
Carbon AOSP team has launched their official Nightly build of Carbon Android 4.3 JB ROM for the Verizon Galaxy S3. Use this tutorial in order to learn how to successfully update your smartphone with this new ROM.
Learn more about Carbon ROM by visiting their goo.im web page here. For you to complete this tutorial with success, take a look at the guidelines below first:
- This ‘how-to’ guide will work exclusively with the Verizon variant Samsung Galaxy S3.
- Do not attempt to flash the files you find here on any other different Galaxy S3 model.
- Note that your device has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running CWM and TWRP Recovery.
- You will need to use the ‘Factory Reset’ option for this ROM to install correctly.
- factory reset deletes all contents from the system partition, while the internal / external sdcards won’t be affected.
- Backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool or Titanium Backup.
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using these apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access has to be granted for these apps.
- Sync your Contacts info with the default Gmail account you’ve assigned for your device.
- It is highly recommended for you to use the custom Recovery mode and create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your phone. Note that this will set a restore point and it can be used in case the Galaxy S3 doesn’t boot with the new ROM.
- also, this NANDROID Backup file can be used in case you don’t like Carbon Android 4.3 AOSP ROM.
- Enable USB Debugging option from Developer Options section.
- This is a guide for advanced users. Do not blame us in case you brick the phone or you lose data in the process.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery has enough power left before it drains completely. In case the device powers off in the middle of the installation, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial more than once.
- If you need any extra help, then you should use the comments section.
How to flash Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download Carbon JB Nighly file from here.
- click the ‘modification time’ area to sort by latest files added.
- download the latest build.
- do not unzip the file.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- this file is needed in order to add all Google-based applications for your phone.
- don’t unzip the archive.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC. Now move both files to your VZW Galaxy S3 without extracting their contents.
- Disconnect the phone from computer when the transfer is complete.
- Power off the Galaxy S3 Verizon.
- Boot the phone into Custom Recovery Mode.
- both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are supported.
- if you don’t know how to boot Recovery Mode click here.
- Create the NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
- TWRP Recovery: press Backup, select the system partition files you wish to preserve. Confirm.
- CWM Recovery: select ‘backup and restore’ option, then use the backup to internal storage option to start the process. Confirm.
- Next, apply ‘factory reset’:
- TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm
- Now you can flash the Carbon Android 4.3 Nightly ROM file for your Verizon Galaxy S3:
- TWRP: press Install, then browse your device’s internal storage for the custom ROM zip. Load it into TWRP and confirm.
- CWM: select ‘install from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM file and install it.
- When the ROM is successfully flashed, repeat the step 9 action and install Gapps.
- After both files are installed, return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery screen. Reboot your smartphone now.
- the first boot process takes several minutes to complete.
- if the phone doesn’t complete the first boot in ten minutes or it enters into a boot loop, then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial.
- If everything wen according to plan, then you can take control over your device using your Google Account info.
These were the steps you had to take in order to update your Verizon Galaxy S3 with the latest Nightly build of Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 ROM.
If you have any other questions use the field below.