Carbon AOSP team has launched the Nighlties builds based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus device. You can use this post in order to learn how to successfully flash all files easily in under ten minutes. Note that this guide is for users who want to tinker with their device and test one of the popular custom ROMs.
The Carbon Android 4.3 Nightly ROM compiles features from Android 4.3 AOSP, CyanogenMod 10.2, ParanoidAndroid and AOKP ROMs. More info about this new Carbon build can be found here and here. If you want to complete the installation at your first attempt, then you should take a look at the preparation guide first. Here’s what you need to know:
- This guide works only with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Don’t attempt to update any other Galaxy Nexus variants with the files you find in this post.
- Your Galaxy Nexus Sprint model has to be rooted, on an unlocked bootloader and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
- Without these requirements you cannot flash any new custom ROMs.
- In the ‘how-to’ part of this post you will find the Factory Reset step. This has to be applied so that the new ROM will boot correctly.
- Factory Reset wipes data from System partition, while the Internal SDcard files will be left unchanged.
- Backup data from installed applications using one of these two apps for Android: Helium (here) or Titanium Backup (here).
– note that the Titanium Backup might not work with Carbon ROMs after the first boot, so you should try and use Helium.
- Backup data such as SMS text messages, APN Internet Settings or Call Logs info with these apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access has to be accepted for some of them.
- Sync Contacts data with your default Gmail profile.
– if you don’t know how to do this, then this guide here will help you.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device. This will come in handy in case the new custom ROM shows errors or it doesn’t boot in normal mode. This step can be found in the tutorial too.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- This is a guide for advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick your device or lose data in the process.
- Make sure that the Sprint Galaxy Nexus battery has enough charge left, at least 50% is needed, before it completely powers off.
- If you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, continue to the interesting part of this post.
How to flash Carbon Android 4.3 Nightly ROM For Sprint Galaxy Nexus:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
– click the ‘modification time’ section to sort Carbon ROMs by latest added.
– make sure to download the latest build released.
- Download Gapps file for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
- Use the USB data cable and connect your phone with your PC. Move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
– disconnect the device from PC when both files are copied with success.
- Power off the Sprint Galaxy Nexus now.
- Next, boot your device in Bootloader mode and then select Recovery Mode option.
– both CWM and TWRP Recoveries are working with this guide. Continue to the next step.
- First thing you have to do is to create a NANDroid Backup for the ROM that is now powering your device:
– CWM: use the ‘backup and restore’ option, then save the file to your device’s internal storage.
– TWRP: press Backup, select the System parts you want to backup. Confirm the process.
- Now you can apply the “Factory Reset” action for your Sprint Galaxy Nexus:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe and then press Factory Reset button. Confirm the process.
> if you don’t apply this step, then the new ROM might not boot in normal mode and you will then be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- Install the new Carbon Android 4.3 ROM for your device using the following info:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Carbon JB Nightly zip and confirm its installation.
– TWRP: press Install, then find the Carbon JB Nightly file. Confirm the process by swiping the blue button shown at the bottom TWRP menu.
> don’t press any buttons while all the new files are flashed.
- When the new ROM is installed, repeat step 8 and flash the Gapps zip as well.
- After both files have been successfully installed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your Sprint Galaxy Nexus now in normal mode.
– CWM: select ‘reboot system now’.
– TWRP: press Reboot, then System option.
> wait for the first boot process to complete and don’t press any buttons.
> in case the new ROM takes over 10 minutes to load all files or it enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the tutorial.
> in case you repeat the tutorial, then make sure that you don’t skip any steps listed above.
- Enter your Google info when the home screen is shown and start testing all the new features and functions added by the Carbon Android 4.3 ROM.
These were the steps you had to follow. In case you’re having problems completing the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
If you don’t like the new ROM, then you can always restore the Sprint Galaxy Nexus from Carbon Android 4.3 to its previously installed ROM using the files created in step 6.