Carbon team has launched their official custom ROM based on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM for your device. Read this entire post and you should be able to complete the installation of this new KitKat ROM for your device.
More info about this release can be found at the Carbon ROM website here. Also, use the XDA thread here to report any bugs you might find while using. Read the guidelines below before starting the installation of this new ROM on your device:
- Use this tutorial only with the Galaxy S3 model number I9300.
– do not use this tutorial with any other different ROM, as it will brick your device.
- You can use this tutorial only if your device is rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
– TWRP Recovery should also work with your device.
– make sure that whichever custom Recovery you use, then you will make sure that it runs on its latest build, as otherwise you cannot flash KitKat ROMs.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– this will set a restore point for your smartphone, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– this step is listed in the tutorial, too, so you won’t manage to miss it.
- Factory Reset is also required, so that it will allow you to cleanly install the new ROM.
– Factory Reset will wipe all data from the System partition, which means that you will lose all data from installed apps, SMS and other similar files.
– Factory Reset will not wipe any data from internal nor external storage.
– this step is listed in the tutorial, so you shouldn’t skip it.
- Backup data from installed applications and SMS text messages using the Helium tool for Android — link here.
- Sync all the Contacts data with your default Gmail account.
– guide here for those of you who don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Make sure that the battery of your device has at least 40% power left before it completely switches off.
- Read this entire guide and do not skip any steps that I’ve listed in this post.
- In case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you can ask for more help in comments.
- This guide is for advanced users, which is why you shouldn’t blame us in case something goes wrong.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to correctly configure your smartphone for the installation process of this new ROM.
Remember that the ROM that you are about to flash on your SGS3 isn’t a stable build, but a Nightly version that is still in its testing phase and you might find some errors while running it. Also, make sure to use the XDA thread to report any bugs you might find while running it.
How to flash Carbon Android 4.4.2 Nightly ROM for the Galaxy S3:
- Download the custom ROM build from here.
– make sure to download the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for this new ROM from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC and then copy both files to its internal storage.
– disconnect the phone from computer when both files are copied with success.
> do not unzip the archived phones.
- Power off your device and then boot it in CWM Recovery mode.
> if you don’t know how to do it, then you can follow the info listed here.
- First, create a full NANDROID ROM Backup:
– select ‘backup and restore’, give a name for the file and confirm that you wish to create it.
> don’t skip this step.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset for your Galaxy S3:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then you can confirm the process.
> do not skip this step, as the new ROM might not boot in normal mode.
- Now you can finally install the brand new Carbon KitKat Nightly ROM for your Galaxy S3:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– find the new ROM file and confirm its installation.
- After the ROM is installed you can flash the new Gapps file using the same actions as in step 2.
- When all files are successfully flashed on your phone you should return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while to complete, which is why you should wait until the home screen appears.
- Use the Google Account info in order to take control over your device once again.
– now that the installation has been completed successfully you can start testing all the new features and options.
These were all the steps you had to follow in order to complete this tutorial. In case you cannot complete or you don’t understand some of the instructions listed below, then you can ask for more help in comments. Leave a detailed comment, so that we will be able to come up with a solution for any type of problem you’ve encountered.
NOTE: if the first boot process fails to install all files, then it would be best for you to repeat the entire tutorial and to make sure that you won’t skip any steps that are listed above.
– the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ step has to be applied.
– also you can try to apply the ‘format /system’ action, too.
NOTE 2: if the new ROM doesn’t boot or it boots but the Carbon KitKat Nightly ROM shows way too many errors, then you can always choose to restore your phone to its previous ROM using the Backup file created in step 5. Use the same custom Recovery Mode if you want to restore a previously installed ROM.