Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 ROM is now available for download. Use this tutorial to learn how to install it on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
Carbon JB 4.3 Nightly build is a custom ROM created by the Carbon AOSP team and, obviously, is based on the latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. Also, it uses features and tools from CyanogenMod, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid and other popular ROMs. More info about it is listed here.
If you want to successfully flash the Carbon Jelly Bean 4.3 ROM for your Galaxy S2 I9100, then you should first take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Do not attempt to install the files you find in this post on any other Galaxy S2 variant, as it only works with International I9100 model.
- The SGS2 device you’re about to update has to be factory unlocked, rooted with a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP installed on it.
- In the ‘how-to’ part of this guide you’ll find the ‘factory reset’ step. Do not skip it.
- Factory reset deletes all contents from system partition and allows a clean installation for Carbon Jelly Bean ROM.
- It is recommended for you to create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your Galaxy S2 I9100.
- Data from installed apps can be backed up using Helium app from Play Store or Titanium Backup tool.
- Backup SMS text messages, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings with these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access will be required for some of these apps.
- Sync all the saved Contacts data with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options section under Settings menu.
- Check the charging level of your phone’s battery before starting the installation, make sure that it is over 50%.
- This is a guide for advanced users, don’t blame us if you lose data or the phone gets bricked in the process.
- Read all the info listed in this post and do not skip any steps listed below.
- If you’re having problems completing the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
How to install Carbon Jelly Bean 4.3 Nightly ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100:
- Download Carbon JB 4.3 custom ROM from here.
– get the latest build available.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 custom ROMs from here.
– this will flash all the Google-based applications that you need in order to have full control over your device.
- Connect the Galaxy S2 to your computer. Move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
– when the files are copied with success you should disconnect the device from computer.
- Switch off the Galaxy S2.
- Next, boot the device into Custom Recovery Mode.
– if you don’t know how to do it, then you can use this guide here to learn. That’s a guide for SGS3 but it will work for Galaxy S2 too.
– note that both CWM and TWRP Recoveries will work with this guide, which means that it doesn’t matter matter which one is installed on your computer.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for your currently installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, then use the backup to internal storage option to confirm the process.
– TWRP: press Backup, then select the system files you wish to save. Confirm.
- Apply the ‘factory reset’ step for a clean installation of Carbon JB 4.3 Nightly ROM:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe button, then Factory Reset and wait for the process to complete.
> this step sets a restore point for your device and you can use it in case something goes wrong and the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode or in case you simply don’t like Carbon ROM.
- Now, flash the Carbon Jelly Bean 4.3 ROM:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Carbon JB Nightly zip and install it.
– TWRP: press Install, then locate the custom ROM zip file, load it and confirm the installation.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat step 8 actions and install the Gapps file.
- When both Carbon JB 4.3 ROM and Google Apps zip files are flashed with success you need to return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery screen.
- Reboot your smartphone now and wait for it to complete the first boot process.
– note that the first boot process takes several minutes to complete and you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen appears.
- Enter your Google Account details when Carbon Jelly Bean 4.3 ROM finishes loading all of its files.
- Now you can start testing its features and tell us in comments how’s your device working with this new ROM.
In case the ROM doesn’t install at your first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 3.
If you don’t like this ROM or the Galaxy S2 performance with it installed, then you can easily restore your device to its previous ROM using the NANDROID Backup file created in step 6. For any extra questions, use the comments field below.