Carbon team has launched their own Jelly Bean AOSP custom ROM. Use the following tutorial in order to learn how to successfully update your Sprint SGS3 with this new custom operating system.
If you want to learn more about this new Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 Nighlties, then you can find more info here. In order to successfully update your device, you should first take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this guide only with the Sprint version of the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone.
- Don’t try to update any other different Galaxy S3 versions, as you will end up bricking them.
- Your device has to be rooted, factory unlocked and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP.
- In the how-to guide you’ll find the ‘factory reset’ step, which deletes all contents from your device’s system partition. The internal storage won’t be affected by this step.
- Backup data from installed applications using the Helium app or the Titanium Backup.
- Backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings using the following apps for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these apps.
- Sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu in Settings.
- Make sure that your device’s battery has enough power left in it before it completely switches off.
- This is a guide for advanced users, don’t attempt to update your device in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a full NANDROID Backup of your current ROM. This will set a restore point for your smartphone, one that can be used in case something goes wrong and you brick the phone in the process.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible if you brick the device or lose any important files in the process.
- Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
How to install Carbon AOSP Jelly Bean 4.3 custom ROM for Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- make sure to download the latest build.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.3 Custom ROMs from here.
- this is the file that you have to flash and get all the Google-based apps installed on your device.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer, then copy both zip files to its internal SDcard.
- when the files are moved, disconnect the Sprint Galaxy S3 from your PC.
- Power off your smartphone now.
- Boot your device into CWM or TWRP Recovery Mode. If you don’t know how to boot recovery mode, then use this post here.
- boot custom recoveries are supported by this tutorial.
- First you need to create the NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
- CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ option. Use the backup to internal sdcard option and confirm the process.
- TWRP press Backup, then select the system parts you want to save. Confirm.
- Now you have to apply the ‘factory reset’:
- CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm the process.
- TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
> when done, you should continue to the next step.
- Install the custom ROM now:
- CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Carbon Nightly Jelly Bean 4.3 zip and confirm the installation.
- TWRP: press Install, then find the ROM zip file, load it into TWRP. Confirm by swiping the button shown at the bottom of the screen.
> don’t press any buttons during the installation process.
- After the Carbon AOSP JB 4.3 ROM is flashed, you need to repeat the step 8 actions in order to flash Gapps file too.
- When both zip files are installed, return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery screen. Reboot your device into normal mode.
- Wait for the phone to boot and enter your Google Account details when the home screen loads.
- Take control over your device and start testing all the new features and functions. Tell us in comments how’s your device performance with this new ROM.
In case you can’t complete the installation at your first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial once again without making sure that you won’t skip any steps. Also, ask for more info, but make sure to leave a detailed comment at the end of this post. We will try to come up with a viable solution and help you complete the installation.