Install Carbon KitKat 4.4.2 Nightly ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9305 LTE has received its Carbon Android 4.4.2 ROM build and now you can use the instructions listed in this post and learn how to update the phone.
There are tons of new KitKat custom ROMs being launched these days, so that more and more users will be able to test the latest features launched by Google. After you manage to test the new ROM, then it would be best if you would report any bugs that you find to the developers or directly to our comments field, so that more users will learn about them before installing the files.
Note that in case you find too many bugs then you will be able to restore the device to its previous ROM using the NANDROID Backup file that you’ll create once you reach the tutorial.
Carbon ROM is one of the most popular KitKat custom ROMs right now. It borrows elements from AOSP Kitkat along with some other features from CyanogenMod, AOKP, Paranoid Android and other great custom ROMs. It is being developer by the Carbon team and it currently has reached the Nightly stage of Android 4.4.2 ROM which means that it cannot be used as a stable build.
Carbon Nightly ROM is based on the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat AOSP builds. More info about this release can be found at the Carbon ROM blog page here. In order to successfully install this new ROM on your smartphone you should first take a look at the guidelines below:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9305 — this is the International LTE model.
- don’t use the guide with the US Galaxy S3 LTE models, as you will brick their firmware.
- this guide will not work with any other Galaxy S3 devices.
- This is a guide that will work with rooted Galaxy S3.
- Also, your device has to run the CWM Recovery image.
- you can use the TWRP Recovery too.
- make sure that the custom Recovery you have installed is updated to its latest build.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM.
- this will set a restore point for your device, one that can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- do not skip this step.
- Factory Reset is required for this new ROM to install successfully.
- Factory Reset wipes all data from system.
- Factory Reset doesn’t remove any data from internal / external storage.
- Backup data from installed apps and SMS text messages using the Helium tool for Android — link here.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- guide here for those that don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- This guide is for advanced users, do not skip any steps and don’t blame us in case something goes wrong.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 40%, so that the Galaxy S3 won’t switch off while installing the new files.
- If you cannot complete the guide, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post. This is not an official Samsung release, but a custom ROM created by a great developing team that tries to offer Galaxy S3 users the possibility to get rid of all the Samsung bloatware and run a pure Android 4.4.2 KitKat operating system.
Read all the instructions, don’t skip any, create the backup and you should be able to complete the guide in under ten minutes.
How to flash Carbon Android 4.4.2 ROM for Galaxy S3 LTE:
- Download the latest build of this ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer, then move both zip files to your Galaxy S3 internal storage.
- after the files are copied you can disconnect the device from PC.
- don’t unzip the archives.
- Power off the device now.
- Next, boot the phone in CWM Recovery mode.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you can learn using the info listed here.
- Now you can create the full NANDROID ROM Backup:
- select ‘backup and restore’, then save the file and confirm process.
- Apply the Factory Reset for your device now.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
- Install the new Carbon KitKat Nightly ROM for your Galaxy S3:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- confirm the process.
- Repeat step 8 actions and then flash Gapps zip.
- When all files are installed you can get back to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your Galaxy S3 in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process takes a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until you see the home screen.
- Enter your Google Account info and take control over your device when the Carbon KitKat home screen appears.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the installation of this new ROM. Now you can start testing all the new features and see how is your device working with Carbon ROM.
If the first installation attempt fails, then you repeat the guide or ask for more help in comments.
If the first boot process fails to load or the phone enters into a boot loop, then you can repeat the tutorial. Make sure that in case you repeat the guide, then you won’t skip any steps and you will apply the Wipe Data/ Factory Reset. Confirm that process and after that it would be best for you to try and apply the ‘format /system’ option. If the tutorial fails, then you can leave a detailed comment and we will try to come up with solutions for your problems.
NOTE: If you cannot complete the installation, the phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM or, it boots but you don’t like how your phone works with it, then you can always restore the device to its previous OS using the file created in step 6.
Also, remember that this build of Carbon KitKat is not an official update by Samsung, which means that you will install it at your risk.