CarbonROM based on Android 4.4.2 AOSP has been launched and now you can flash it on your US Cellular Galaxy S3. Read all the info listed in this post and you should be able to complete the guide in no time without bricking the device’s firmware.
CarbonROMs are also including their own KitKat-customized features, functions and other elements. Also, it packs some other functions from ParanoidAndroid, CyanogenMod and other popular custom KK ROMs. More info about this release can be found at the developing team’s web page here.
Read the guidelines below before starting the installation of Carbon KitKat 4.4.2 ROM:
- This is a post that works only with the US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3.
- do not attempt to update any other Galaxy S3 models with the files that you will find in the tutorial.
- The US Cellular Galaxy S3 that you’re about to update has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- note that TWRP Recovery works too, but you have to update it to its latest version too before starting the installation.
- Don’t skip the tutorial step that tells you to create a NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM.
- it will set a restore point for your phone.
- Do not skip the Factory Reset step either.
- Factory Reset wipes all data that is stored on your phone’s system partition.
- This process will not delete data from internal nor external sdcards.
- Backup data from installed applications, SMS text messages and other similar files using Helium tool for Android.
- Make sure to sync your Contacts info with your Gmail account.
- this will backup all the phone numbers and other details from all your Contacts.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you can follow the info listed here.
- Check your phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the installation process.
- Read the entire post, do not skip any steps and you should be able to complete the tutorial in under five minutes.
- This guide is for advanced users, do not blame us in case something goes wrong or you lose any data in the process.
- If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above you can continue to the tutorial.
How to flash Carbon Android 4.4.2 KK Nightly ROM for US Cellular Galaxy S3:
- Download the latest build from here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Move both files to your phone’s internal storage.
- after the files are copied you should make sure that the phone is not connected to your computer.
> do not unzip the archived files.
- Power off your device now and then boot it in custom Recovery mode.
- if you don’t know how to boot Recovery, then you can follow the info listed here and learn.
- First, create a full NANDROID Backup of the installed ROM:
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and complete backup.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm.
- Now you can flash the Carbon KitKat Nightly for Galaxy S3 US Cellular:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- find the ROM file, confirm installation and don’t press any buttons until all files are flashed successfully.
- When you complete ROM installation you should select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and flash Gapps zip too.
- After both files are installed with success you can return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
> note that your US Cellular Galaxy S3 will take a while to complete the first boot of Carbon KK Nightly ROM.
> don’t press any buttons until the home screen appears.
- Use your Google Account info in order to take control over your device.
If you have problems with the installation and you cannot complete the guide, then you should ask for more help in comments.