The AT&T Galaxy S SkyRocket got a leaked new firmware, the Android 4.0 ICS UCLF5, and if you used this guide here to update it and you are an Android enthusiast that wants to root and install ClockworkMod Recovery, then you are in the right place and you should use the instructions listed in this article. First you will need to install CWM recovery and only afterwards you will be able to root the device.
The Android 4.0 ICS UCLF5 update was leaked and it isn’t an official release by Samsung, but you still need to root it. However, first thing that you need to do is to install a custom recovery image, the ClockworkMod Recovery. This installation will then need to be followed by the root process and only after that you will be able to install new custom ROMs for your device.
CWM Recovery will allow you to flash roots and custom ROMs and it is a very simple application that should be easy to handle by users that aren’t too advanced when it comes to Android devices. However, if you’re a beginner then you should probably ask on of your more Android skilled friend to help you complete this tutorial. Before we can begin the installation of ClockworkMod recovery, you will need to read the preparation guide and learn how to properly configure your Galaxy S2 SkyRocket and computer for the tutorial. Here’s what you need to know:
- apply the CWM Recovery image only on AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket, model number I727. It will work only with this smartphone and you shouldn’t try to install it on any other Android device.
- Enable USB debugging option on your computer.
- Install the Samsung USB drivers for your smartphone.
- Install the UCLF4 Firmware of Android 4.0 ICS from here. If your device is already on this firmware then you should skip this step.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged so that the SGS2 SkyRocket won’t power OFF while you’re in the middle of the installation process.
- Create backups of all your important files by moving them to your device’s internal sdcard. This step is optional and you should only apply it only if you’re afraid that the installation of CWM Recovery might damage some files stored on your phone’s memory.
- Also, you can backup installed apps, APN Settings, Call Logs info and SMS text messages using these Android programs: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Phone Contacts app can be synced with the Gmail account assigned to your phone. If you don’t know how to do it, use this tutorial here.
- In case something goes wrong and your device loses data or something else goes wrong, then you shouldn’t blame neither the developers of this custom recovery image nor us, because you are installing these files at your own risk.
These are all the steps you had to take before moving to the tutorial guide and that’s why now you are free to continue with the rest of the instructions needed in order to successfully install CWM Recovery using ODIN app. Remember that you will need an Windows computer and make sure not to skip any steps because that might result in you being forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
In case you cannot complete the installation of clockworkmod recovery, you should post a comment and we will help you. This guide shouldn’t damage your phone but only if you only apply the instructions I’ve listed below.
How to flash CWM Recovery on Galaxy S2 SkyRocket AT&T model number I727 that runs Android 4.o ICS UCLF5 Firmware:
- Download the Odin 1.85 zip file from here. This is the program that you will use to install ClockworkMod Recovery on your smartphone. Save the zip on your computer’s desktop.
- Extract the Odin zip contents into a single folder that should be placed on your computer’s desktop screen.
- Download the CWM Recovery .tar file from here. Save the file in the Odin folder.
- Go to Odin folder and launch the Odin executable, its program window will open up.
- Power OFF your Galaxy S2 SkyRocket.
- Boot it into Download mode. This can be done like this: connect the USB cable to your PC, but not to your smartphone, then press and hold ‘volume up’ and ‘volume down’ buttons and only now you can connect the phone. When you’re device boots the download mode, release the volume rocker buttons and then you should move to the next step.
- Go back to Odin screen and click the button that says ‘PDA’ and browse your computer for the CWM recovery .tar file; the one you downloaded at step 3. Select it.
- Don’t change any other default settings of Odin, simply click the START button to begin the installation of CWM Recovery on your phone.
- When Odin finishes the installation, your device will restart and in Odin you should see an alert message telling you ‘PASS’. This means that the file was successfully installed .
- When the Samsung Logo appears you can remove the USB cable from your phone.
- That’s it, now your Galaxy S2 SkyRocket should have ClockworkMod Recovery image installed.
NOTE: In case ODIN freezes and the CWM image isn’t installed, then you will have to remove the phone’s battery, disconnect the phone from your PC, close Odin, restart Odin, re-insert the phone’s battery, boot it into download mode and after this repeat the tutorial starting with step 6. Now, make sure that you respect all the tutorial steps and that you’re applying the correct instructions.
The new CWM Recovery image should’ve been installed successfully, but if you’re having trouble with it then you should post in comments and let us know where exactly you encountered problems with the installation process. That’s all the info you had to know in order to flash this custom recovery image.
For any other questions, please use the comments field and we will get back to you with better explanations. Also, remember that this guide should be applied by advanced Android users. For any other tips and tricks regarding Galaxy S2 SkyRocket, Android 4.0 ICS, CWM Recovery etc, use the same comments field.