Install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery for Verizon HTC Droid DNA
Earlier, we’ve posted a guide for you to use and unlock your HTC Droid DNA’s bootloader. Now we’ve created a guide that teaches you how to successfully flash the ClockworkMod Recovery image without bricking your device. You can find all the instructions you need in this article and if you want to use custom ROMs in the future then the installation of CWM Recovery is highly recommended.
This bundle of CWM Recovery for HTC Droid DNA has been created by ‘dsb9938′, an XDA Recognized Developer. This guide will prepare your smartphone for the upcoming Custom Android ROMs and it seems like this build works great. Use the pre-requisites guide before starting to flash the Clockwork Recovery files to your phone.
Below you can find the files and instructions that should teach users how to correctly configure their devices for the installation of custom recovery image. Here’s what you need to know:
- The Verizon HTC Droid DNA should have its bootloader state set to ‘UNLOCKED’. If yours doesn’t then you should follow the instructions listed here. Complete that guide and then return to this post.
- Use this tutorial only with the Verizon HTC Droid DNA smartphone and don’t even think about flashing the files on any other Android device.
- Get and install the HTC Sync Manage software from HERE.
- Enable USB Debugging mode from the Android development menu.
- Remember to charge your device’s battery and this will prevent it from powering off.
- Note that this is a guide that should be applied only by advanced Android users. Do not attempt to use this tutorial if you’re a novice.
- Don’t blame us in case you cannot use your device after using this tutorial. Also we cannot be held responsible in case it gets bricked.
- Use the comments section to ask for extra help and you should receive a solution to your problems.
- Apply all the steps that are listed in the tutorial and don’t skip any of them, as that will result in a failed attempt and you will then be forced to repeat the entire ‘how-to’ guide.
I think that these are all the guidelines you needed before moving to the tutorial guide.
How to flash CWM Recovery on Verizon HTC Droid DNA:
- Download the Fastboot zip file from here.
- Extract the zip contents to a folder named ‘Fastboot’. Place it on your computer’s desktop screen.
- Download the CWM Recovery zip file from HERE. After the download is complete you should extract the .img file and place it in the same ‘Fastboot’ folder, the one you’ve created at step 2.
- Power off your HTC Droid DNA phone by pressing Power for at least 10 seconds. This will make sure that the devices is completely powered off.
- Boot into HBoot / Bootloader Mode by pressing ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons at the same time. Select ‘Fastboot’ and press Power to confirm that you want to boot your smartphone in Fastboot mode.
- Go to the ‘Fastboot’ folder. Now press and hold ‘Shift’ button on your PC keyboard and at the same time you have to right-click the white space in the folder. Select ‘open command window here’ from the context menu. When CMD Prompt window appears you should get to the next step.
- Enter the following command lines in the Command Prompt window to flash the CWM Recovery image:
- fastboot devices – This will detect your HTC Droid DNA device ID. If it doesn’t then you should re-install the HTC Sync Manager Software files ( the download link is listed in the pre-requisites guide ).
- fastboot flash recovery DNA.CWR6.img – This will install the CWM recovery on your phone.
- fastboot reboot-bootloader – this has to be entered after the recovery img file is installed. Your phone will now restart and it will load the Hboot selection menu once again.
- Select ‘Recovery’ to restart into CWM Recovery mode and test it. Unplug it from your PC.
- Exit ClockworkMod Recovery menu by selecting ‘reboot system’ option.
- Your phone will boot into normal mode and now you’re free to use the new custom recovery mode to flash new customization files to improve and edit your device .
These are all the steps that you had to take. If you have any other questions or in case you cannot complete the install then you should leave a detailed comment at the end of this post and we will try to offer a solution for you.
Remember that you will also have to root your device before installing any new custom ROMs. We will post such guide shortly.