Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T has been released several day ago and while we were browsing the XDA forums, we’ve managed to find several posts with tools to install CWM Recovery on your device. Also, after you install the ClockworkMod Recovery image you will also be able to root the device using only several steps. Read all the instructions I wrote in this post and make sure that you do not skip any steps as that will result in a failed attempt to install CWM recovery on your AT&T Galaxy S3 smartphone.
Installing the CWM Recovery on AT&T’s Galaxy S3 model device is not that hard, but it is recommended for you to be an advanced Android user so that you know what actions I’m telling you to take. Do not attempt to install this CWM recovery on devices that aren’t Galaxy S3 on AT&T, as that might brick those phones and you wouldn’t want that to happen. Before we can start to flash the files needed for this custom recovery image, you will need to read the preparation guide and learn how to properly configure the smartphone and your computer. This will help you make sure that you apply the changes at your first attempt and not being forced to repeat the entire process all over again.
Here’s what you need to do:
- install the USB Samsung drivers on your PC. This will make sure that you will be able to use ODIN and install the files needed for custom recovery image.
- fully charge the phone’s battery so that it won’t discharge while we’re installing the CWM files.
- disable all the antimalware / antivirus applications from your PC and make sure that no other application will interfere with our tutorial.
- this guide works only with the AT&T variant of Galaxy S3.
- Enable the USB Debugging mode.
- optionally you can choose backup the important files currently stored on your device so that you will be secured and you won’t lose those files in case something goes wrong.
- if you wish to save the SMS, APN settings, Call logs info and the applications installed on your device, then you should use the following applications: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. However, you should know that this tutorial won’t ask you to wipe data, but if you’re the cautious type then you can use these apps, as you will complete each backup in under 2 minutes.
- those who wish to sync their contacts with Gmail and don’t know how to do it, then you can use this guide here.
- after you install CWM Recovery you will need to root the device. After that you can start to search for custom ROMs that will improve your Galaxy S3 performances.
- read all the steps listed under the tutorial guide and make sure that you apply all of them.
Remember that you’re installing CWM recovery at your own risk, and that’s why you should be an advanced Android user who knows his way around custom recovery and ODIN. Now that you know all this extra info, I think that you’re ready to move to the tutorial guide.
How to install ClockworkMod Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T using Odin tool:
- Download the Odin 3.04 utility from here. After the download is complete you need to unzip the contents and save them in a single folder on your computer’ desktop screen.
- Download the custom recovery image file from here. Save it in the same Odin folder.
- Power off your device and after that restart it into download mode. Do it by pressing and holding simultaneously the ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Keep them pressed until you see a ‘warning’ message and then press ‘volume up’ to load the download mode.
- When Download Mode has loaded successfully you will have to launch Odin program on your computer.
- After Odin launches, connect the AT&T Galaxy S3 to your computer using the USB cable. Odin will then show an ‘added’ message and this means that you can move to the next step.
- Go to Odin now and click the button that says ‘PDA’ and then browse for the ‘clockworkmod’ .tar file, the one you downloaded at step 2, and select it for installation. Do not change any Odin default settings.
- Press the Start button and then wait for the installation process to be complete.
- When Odin finishes the CWM Recovery installation your device will reboot and after the Samsung logo is displayed, you can disconnect the phone from your PC. That should do it, now your device has ClockworkMod Recovery installed and now you’re free to root it.
Please note that in case Odin freezes or some other thing interferes with the custom recovery image installation, you will have to remove the phone’s battery, close Odin, re-insert the battery and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. Boot into download mode and launch Odin to install the clockworkmod.tar file. In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for our help in comments.
To check that CWM recovery is installed on Galaxy S3 AT&T, you will need to power the phone off, then boot it into clockwork recovery mode. This can be done by pressing and holding the ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons and when the displays launches then you can release them and the phone will load the CWM recovery files. To navigate through the clockworkmod recovery screens you need to use the volume keys and to select one option press the ‘home’ button.
Now your AT&T Galaxy S3 should boot into clockworkmod recovery and this is the software you will use to root the device. Also, CWM recovery can be used to flash custom ROMs that will improve the overall performances of your device and some of the custom firmware installations are giving you multiple features and customizing options so that you will create the perfect Android environment right on your smartphone.
Make sure to return to our website because, in the near future, we will host new tutorials and guides on how to improve the performances of your Galaxy S3 AT&T variant.