Install ClockworkMod ( CWM ) Recovery On Samsung Galaxy S3 T-Mobile
The Galaxy S3 Tmobile has been released and now you can learn how to successfully install CWM Recovery on it. At the moment there aren’t too many users of T Mobile variant of Galaxy S3, but this didn’t stop the developers at XDA to create a working guide for you to use and flash custom recovery images, which is needed if you wish to root the device and flash new custom ROMs.
CWM Recovery allows you to install new custom ROMs that should improve the overall performances of your device. Also, for custom ROMs to be installed, you will have to root the device and this means that you’ll lose the warranty, which can be restored only if you flash stock firmware on your phone. Rooting the device and installing CWM Recovery along with a new custom ROM will eventually remove all the bloat files from your phone.
This guide will teach you how to install CWM Recovery with help from ODIN application and your Windows computer. Make sure that before moving to the how-to guide, you will read the preparation guide and learn how to backup important files from your device and not lose them. Now that you know all this, you should move to the prep guide and learn how to properly configure the computer along with your phone so that every single step will complete successfully. Here’s what you need to know:
- This CWM Recovery installation can be applied only on the T-Mobile version of Samsung Galaxy S3. Do not attempt to install it on any other variant of Galaxy S3 as it won’t work and you might brick that other phone.
- Install the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 USB Drivers on your PC.
- Charge the phone’s battery until it reaches at least 70% of power level and this will prevent it from discharging while we’re installing the custom recovery image files.
- it is recommended for you to create backups of all important files stored on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3 device. These can be transferred on your computer or you can move them on your phone’s internal / external sdcard.
- you can backup applications, APN Settings, SMS and Call Logs info using these applications: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- the last two guidelines are optional, as there are very slim chances for files to be deleted while installing the CWM Recovery. Also, you can choose to sync your Gmail account with your Phone Contacts and in this way all your saved contacts will also be transferred to your Gmail account. This guide here will show you how to do it successfully without losing any data.
- disable the antivirus and antimalware apps currently running on your computer. This means that no other application, besides Odin, will interfere with the installation process.
That’s all the info you had to know and now you should move to the tutorial guide and learn how to use Odin to install CWM Recovery on your Galaxy S3 T-Mobile edition.
Please note that we cannot be held responsible in case you damage your device during the process. Make sure to read the entire guide and in case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for our help by leaving a comment at the end of this article.
How to install CWM Recovery on Galaxy S3 T-Mobile device:
- Download Odin 3 from here. Unzip its contents into a single folder created on your computer’s desktop.
- Download CWM Recovery file from here. Save it on your computer and do not extract its contents; it should be a simple .tar file.
- Power OFF your Galaxy S3.
- Boot into download mode by pressing and holding ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘Power’ buttons until your device’s screen displays an yellow warning alert.
- Press ‘volume up’ to confirm the download mode boot. Now, an Android logo with the ‘downloading’ text will appear.
- Launch Odin executable on your PC.
- After Odin launches successfully you need to connect the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 to your computer via USB cable. In Odin you should see the text ‘added’ displayed, which means that all drivers have been installed and you are free to move to the next step.
- Go to Odin and click the button that says ‘PDA’. Browse for the CWM recovery .tar file; the one extracted at step 2. Select it.
- Next, press the ‘Start’ button and Odin will start to install ‘clockworkmod recovery’ on your smartphone.
- When the install is finished, your SGS3 should restart and when the Samsung loading logo appears you need to disconnect the device from your PC. Odin will now say ‘PASS’ and that would be all. Your phone is now running the CWM Recovery image.
NOTE: In case ODIN freezes or ClockworkMod Recovery installation fails, then you should immediately disconnect the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 from your PC and after that close ODIN, remove the phone’s battery and re-insert it back in its location and restart the whole process.
If you wish to check and see if clockworkmod recovery image was installed, then you have to power off the smartphone, then boot into CWM Recovery. This action can be done by pressing and holding ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘Power’ buttons simultaneously until the ‘Clockworkmod Recovery’ screen appears. Use the volume up and down buttons to move between custom recovery options and use the ‘Home’ button to select the option you wish to run. If it boots into CWM Recovery, then it means you have successfully installed all these files successfully and now you can go ahead and root the phone.
Also, now that your phone is running CWM, you can start the search for a reliable custom ROM that will improve the overall performances of your brand new phone.
For any extra questions, please use the comments field and we will try to help and answer you in the best way possible. Hopefully, you’ve managed to install this custom recovery image on your first attempt and you’re ready to move to the next step and learn what else you can do to improve your Galaxy S3 experience.