Having a smartphone nowadays is like living an adventure, as there are so many apps and operations that can be applied and performed over its system. You can power up the performances, improve the speeds and battery life, customize and optimize the OS, unchain the system and lot more, but in order to do so, you will have to make some basic tasks first. Almost each operation you want to apply on your phone will require a recovery image pre-installed, so this will be the first thing to take care when having a smartphone, such as the HTC Vivid.
Fortunately for its users, the xda-developers had found a way to install the ClockworkMod Touch Recovery on the Vivid, all being explained and detailed during a step by step guide. Furthermore, if you want to get the up mentioned tool for your handset but you don’t know exactly how to do it, than I suggest following this tutorial, as all the aspects needed are being discussed here. The procedure will be easy to understand and more important, your phone will be in safe hands, as we know exactly what to do in order to flash the CWM on your HTC Vivid.
You will have to install the ClockworkMod Recovery custom recovery image on the Vivid if you are looking forward in flashing a custom ROM into its system, or root the same. Also, a recovery image will be required if you will want to backup the ROM, wipe the system, or make other restorations and maintenance operations. Installing beta firmware or unofficial updates will require the same tool too; therefore you have all the reasons for completing this step by step guide.
ClockworkMod Recovery is one of the most powerful restoration software designed to work for the Android platform, being also extremely popular among users worldwide.
But, before getting it, you need to backup the HTC Vivid. In case you have important data and info stored on the phone’s internal memory, it is a good idea to save the same, just for preventing unpleasant situations. You will be able to restore your data as soon as the installation process is over. There are many ways in which you can perform a backup, choose the one you know best. If you are having doubts, here are some tips, or recommendations from our part:
- Use a computer or an SD card for storing the images, or videos files.
- Download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- Download Call log backup and restore tools for Android.
- Sync with your Google Gmail account and backup the contacts.
- Download APN Backup & Restore for Android and save Internet Settings.
Remember that this guide will show you how to install the ClockworkMod Touch Recovery on your HTC Vivid, meaning that you will not have to use the volume buttons to navigate through recovery. From now on you will be able to navigate through the recovery menu by using the touchscreen this being a more user friendly option, offering a more intuitive interface too. The tool is also having more features than the classic one, so let’s get started. But first, take a look and complete the pre requisites:
- You will have to use a computer and the phone’s USB cord.
- On the PC and handset deactivate the security tools, so that we can safely install CWM.
- Charge the HTC Vivid battery.
- Check the USB debugging option from your smartphone.
- Make sure that the HTC Vivid has an unlocked bootloader, or else you will not be able to flash CWM.
- Install the HTC Sync software on your computer (download link here).
Don’t forget that unlocking the bootloader will make you void the warranty; so, if you are here, than the warranty has already been lost. As a reminder, you can regain it by applying an official update, or ROM, or by downgrading to the stock version of the firmware. In this way, the bootloader will be re-locked. That being clarified, you can now get to the next section of the present tutorial. Apply the method only for the HTC Vivid and not on any other similar devices, as you can brick them.
How to Install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery on HTC Vivid
- Download fastboot from here and place the file on your computer.
- Extract the downloaded file. You should get: adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll and fastboot.exe.
- Download the last version of CWM from this page.
- Reboot the phone and while rebooting enter in bootloader mode.
- Bootloader mode can be reached by holding down the Volume Down and Power buttons. Select Fastboot from the list and enter fastboot mode.
- Connect the handset with the computer by using the USB cord.
- On the PC open the fastboot folder.
- Open a command prompt window there (“Shift + Right Click -> Open command window here”).
- In the command window enter: fastboot devices.
- Don’t close the command prompt window.
- Copy the CWM file to the fastboot folder.
- On command prompt type fastboot flash recovery nameofrecoveryfile.img (replace nameofrecoveryfile.img with the name of the file you downloaded above).
- Hit “enter”.
- In the end, on command prompt enter “fastboot reboot” and press “Enter”.
- Your phone will be rebooted.
- You can disconnect it from the computer.
That was all. Now the ClockworkMod Touch Recovery is running on your HTC Vivid. Give it a try, by rebooting in bootloader and choosing recovery. See how it’s working, its options and if you can use it by using the touchscreen. If there are issues, or if you couldn’t flash the CWM touch on your Vivid, share the problems with us so we can help you through.