Verizon Galaxy S3 can be updated to CM 10.1.0 Stable build using this tutorial. Read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps that I have listed below. In case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
This build of CM 10.1.0 is a great release that is much more stable than the M Snapshots, Nightlies and Release Candidate variants. For this new ROM to install correctly, you will first have to read the preparation guide below:
- use this post only with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. Don’t try to use this guide for any other smartphone, as you will end up bricking it.
- your smartphone has to be on unlocked bootloader, it has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image like CWM or TWRP. I have used the ClockworkMod variant for this guide, but the TWRP version will work perfectly.
- use the CWM / TWRP Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current OS. This will set a restore point for your device and it can be used in case you’re having problems with the new CM 10.1.0 ROM.
- in the how-to guide you’ll find a step that will ask you to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ the smartphone, which means that you will lose installed apps, SMS, Call Logs info and other similar data that is stored on your phone’s system partition. Search the Google Play Store for a tool that can be used to backup installed applications.
- to backup SMS text messages, APN Internet Settings or Call Logs info use the following apps for Android devices: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these small apps.
- make sure to backup your Contacts data by syncing it with your default Gmail account.
- Go to Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
- the power charging levels of your phone’s battery should have enough power left in it before completely discharging.
- read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps in the process.
- we cannot be held responsible in case you brick your device in the process nor in case you lose important data files.
- if you cannot complete the installation, then you can ask for extra help in comments.
NOTE: Even if your Verizon Galaxy S3 is already using a previous build of CM 10.1 ROM, you still need to ‘factory reset’ it. As otherwise, it might not be able to boot into normal mode and you would end up at the same point, as you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
Since you’ve read all of the above, I think that you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to install a custom ROM for your device.
How to install CM 10.1.0 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3:
- Download the CM 10.1.0 Stable build from HERE.
> save the file on your PC and do not extract its contents.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.1 / Android 4.2.2 custom ROMs from HERE.
> don’t unzip, save it on your computer.
- Connect your device with your PC using the USB data cable. Now move both files to your VZW Galaxy S3 internal storage. Disconnect the phone from PC when done.
- Now you can power off your smartphone.
- Boot the device into custom Recovery Mode. I’ve used CWM Recovery for this guide, but the TWRP variant should do the trick too.
- Next, select ‘backup and restore’ and create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm the process.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1.0 Stable zip and confirm its installation,.
- When the ROM is installed successfully, you need to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Now you have to flash Gapps zip.
- After you’ve managed to successfully completed both installation, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until your smartphone will complete the first boot process. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your smartphone.
In case you have problems during the installation or the device doesn’t go past the first boot screen of Samsung animation, then you should power off the device completely. After that you will need to repeat the entire tutorial and make sure not to skip any steps.
I hope that you’ve managed to update your device and that right now you’re testing the CyanogenMod 10.1.0 Stable ROM on your Verizon Galaxy S3. If you have any other questions, use the comments section below.