Install CM 10.1.0 Stable build for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 T989
CM 10.1.0 Stable build, a great alternative to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, is now available for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 device. Use this tutorial and you will manage to successfully complete the installation fast and easy without bricking your device.
This is the final and first stable build of CM 10.1.0, read the guidelines below in order to learn how to prepare your smartphone for the updating process. Here’s what you need to know:
- use this post only with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 model number T989. Do not attempt to update any other devices using the files you find in this article.
- your phone has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image. Without these you won’t be able to flash CyanogenMod 10.1.0 ROM.
- use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your current OS. This will set a restore point for your device and it can be used in case the new ROM develops bugs or you simply get tired of using it, wishing to return to your previous OS.
- I’ve used the CWM Recovery for this tutorial, but you can still use the TWRP Recovery. TWRP will work with this guide but you have to make sure that you find the corresponding CWM actions or, you can ask for extra help in comments.
- the tutorial will ask you to ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ your device, which means that the system partition containing installed apps, SMS and other data will be deleted.
- backup some of your most important installed apps using a tool from Google Play Store. We can’t recommend such tools as not all of them are supported by your particular device, and we’re still looking for a reliable tool.
- if you wish to backup SMS, Call Logs info and APN Internet Settings, then you should use the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access has to be granted for some of these utilities.
- Sync the Contacts data with your Gmail account. Use this guide here if you don’t know how to do it.
- enable USB Debugging option from Android Developer Options menu.
- make sure that your TMO Galaxy S2 battery has enough power left before completely discharging. If the phone powers off in the middle of the CM 10.1.0 installation process, it might get bricked and you will be forced to use whole new set of instructions in order to fix that.
- we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong nor in case you brick your phone. If you stumble upon any problems, use the comments section at the end of this post to ask for extra help.
- read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps in the process.
NOTE: Even if your device is already running a previous build of CM 10.1 Nightlies/ M / Experimental or RC, you will still need to apply factory reset actions. Otherwise, your device might not boot into normal mode with the new CyanogenMod 10.1.0 Stable ROM.
How to Install CM 10.1.0 Final Build for T-Mobile Galaxy S2:
- Download the CM 10.1.0 Stable zip from HERE.
> save the file on your computer and don’t unzip.
- Download Gapps for CM 10.1 / Android 4.2.2 Custom ROMs from HERE.
> don’t unzip and save the file on your PC.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer. Now move both zip files onto your TMO Galaxy S2 internal storage.
- When the files are copied successfully, disconnect your device from your PC.
- Power off the phone completely.
- Boot it into CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
> note that I’ve used ClockworkMod to flash this CM build, but the TWRP will work too.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option from the main Recovery menu. Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM to set a restore point for your device. Don’t skip this step.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ next and confirm. Do not skip.
- Get back to the main Recovery screen and select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Find the CM 10.1.0 zip and confirm that you want to flash it. This shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes.
- When the ROM is installed, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ again. Find Gapps file and install it too.
- After both files have been successfully installed, you should get back to the main menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now your device will boot into normal mode and you might need to wait at least 5 minutes for it to complete.
- Enter your Google Account details when the CyanogenMod 10.1.0 Stable home screen appears.
- Test all the new features and then tell us in comments what’s your favorite feature of this new ROM.
NOTE: In case your T-Mobile Galaxy S2 doesn’t go past the Samsung boot animation screen, then you will be forced to power it off completely. After that you have to repeat the entire tutorial once again and make sure that you correctly apply all the actions listed above. Make sure not to skip any steps and apply ‘factory reset’.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to successfully flash the new CM 10.1.0 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Stable ROM for your T-Mobile Galaxy S2.
You can continue updating your CM installation using the CyanogenMod Update menu listed in Settings Menu. For any extra questions, use the comments field below.