The CyanogenMod team has released its 3rd ‘M’ snapshot of CM 10.1 and now you can flash it for your Galaxy S Captivate using the instructions listed in this post. This guide is for advanced users and for those who want to test the latest AOSP Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM build. Read the entire post and don’t skip any steps.
If you want to update your Samsung Galaxy S Captivate to Android 4.2.2 JB using CM 10.1 M3 ROM, then you will first have to read the preparation guide below. It will help you correctly configure the smartphone and manage to update it at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- Use this guide only for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S I897 Captivate. Don’t try to update any other device using the files in this post, as you will end up bricking it.
- Your phone has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP. We’ve used the CWM Recovery for this post.
- Use the custom Recovery image to create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM.
- All the data stored on the /system partition should be backed up before starting the update. The tutorial will ask for ‘factory reset’ your device so that the new ROM will boot after the install is complete. In case you already run a previous build of CM 10.1 then you can skip the factory reset step; you will find more in the tutorial.
- Create backups of your SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings using these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Some of these apps will require root access.
- Remember to sync your Gmail account with your Contacts. This will backup all the phone numbers currently stored on your device.
- Enable USB Debugging option from the Android Development menu.
- Make sure that your device’s battery has enough power left in it before starting the updating process.
- This guide is for more advanced Android users, and you should know that the battery life of your device is way shorter on Jelly Bean ROMs than it was on previous ICS or Gingerbread versions.
- We cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong and you brick your phone or you lose any data in the process.
- If you cannot complete the update then you should ask for more help in comments.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over. Now you can continue to the tutorial and, it would be for the best that you won’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
How to update AT&T Samsung Captivate to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using CM 10.1 M3 ROM:
- Download the CM 10.1 M3 ROM zip from HERE. Save the file on PC without extracting its contents.
- Download Gapps zip for Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE.
- Connect the smartphone to PC via USB cable. Move both these files onto your phone’s internal SDcard without extract their contents. When the files are copied you will have to disconnect the Captivate from PC.
- Power off your phone now.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode. Press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons until the custom Recovery menu appears.
- Now, select ‘backup and restore’ option from the CWM Recovery menu. Create a NANDROID backup of your current OS.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm. NOTE: If your device is already sporting a previous variant of CM 10.1 Nightlies / M snapshot build then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 M3 zip and confirm that you wish to install it. This process will complete in several minutes.
- Select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ again and then you need to flash the Gapps zip. Confirm.
- When both files have been successfully installed you will have to return to the main CWM Recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for your phone to boot into normal CyanogenMod 10.1 M3 OS.
- Enter your account details and then take control over your device once again.
- That’s it, you’ve update your phone and then only thing left to do is to starting testing the new ROM.
If the update isn’t applied at your first attempt or the phone doesn’t complete the first boot process then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again. Start with step 4 and then make sure to apply all the steps listed after that, especially step 7.
If you have any other questions or you require any assistance completing the CM 10.1 M3 install, then you should ask for more help in comments below.
You can continue updating your AT&T Captivate smartphone with new builds of CM 10.1 M3. Go to Settings and then use the CyanogenMod Update menu to search for new Nightly, M snapshots or any other new CM builds; the Nightlies builds are usually released on a daily basis.