Install CM 10.1 M3 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket
The Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket has received its own official CyanogenMod 10.1 M3 snapshot and you can learn how to successfully install it using this post. Read all the info that I have listed below as you will easily manage to flash all the files in under 10 minutes with no problems. Make sure that you know what you’re doing before getting to the tutorial.
The CyanogenMod 10.1 M3 or CM 10.1 M3 is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and it is one of the most popular operating systems out there. It brings a full Android experience in its most pure form. You can learn how to properly flash this update using this guide but, before you do that, you will need to take a look at the guidelines below. Here’s what you should do and take into consideration so that the update will complete with success:
- Use the tutorial only with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket smartphone. Don’t use this guide for any other smartphone.
- The guide will work only if your device is rooted and running a custom Recovery option such as TWRP or CWM. We’ve used the ClockworkMod or CWM Recovery mode with this post. However, you can use the TWRP Recovery in case you have it installed as the tutorial instructions will apply for it, too.
- Use the custom Recovery mode and create a full backup of your current ROM. This is called a NANDROID backup and it will serve as a restore point for your smartphone.
- You will be asked to factory reset your device in the process, which means that you will have to backup all your data before starting the update. The /system partition will be deleted, while the contents of your internal / external sdcard contents will not be affected by this process.
- You can backup SMS, APN Internet Settings and Call Logs info using these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Also, remember to sync your Gmail account with the Contacts info. You will backup all your saved phone numbers and other Contacts data.
- Enable USB Debugging option.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is charged, so that its power levels are over 50%. This will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the installation process.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and you brick the device or you lose any data while attempting to flash the CM 10.1 M3 ROM.
- This is a guide for advanced users. Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps in the process.
- If you cannot complete the install, then you will have to ask for extra help in comments.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over before starting the updating process.
How to install CM 10.1 M3 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket AT&T:
- Download CM 10.1 M3 ROM zip file from HERE. Don’t extract the contents of this zip.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 JB ROMs from HERE. Do not unzip the file.
- Connect the SkyRocket device with your computer and then move both downloaded files onto its internal SDcard. Disconnect the device from PC when both files are copied successfully.
- Power off your Galaxy S2 SkyRocket.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery mode.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option from the main CWM Recovery menu. Create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm this process. NOTE: In case your device is already running a previous build of CM 10.1 ROM, then you can skip this step and flash the new version over your current OS.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that you need to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 M3 ROM and confirm that you want to install it.
- Select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ once again, then you will need to browse the device for the Gapps zip. Confirm that you wish to install it.
- After both files have been installed, return to the main Recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’. Wait several minutes for the first boot process to complete.
- Enter your Google Account and take control over your SkyRocket smartphone once again.
- Test the new ROM and tell us in comments which are your new favorite features.
NOTE: If the first boot of CM 10.1 M3 ROM doesn’t finish loading after 10 minutes, then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again starting with step 4. The second time you will have to make sure that you don’t skip step 7 actions. Custom ROMs are usually acting up and you should try to repeat the tutorial until you manage to flash all files successfully and the phone boots into normal mode.
In case you don’t like this new ROM, or in case it doesn’t complete the boot process, then you will have to use the custom Recovery mode and restore the NANDROID backup you created in step 6. These were all the steps you had to take. If you cannot complete the update or you have any other questions, please leave a detailed comment below.