The Official Nightlies Snapshot of CM10.1 ROM is now available for the Verizon Samsung Fascinate device. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully update your device with one of the best Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROMs.
CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies will bring you improved UI, get rid of all the bloatware, improved notification menu, toggles, status bar customization support, theme changer, new Accessibility options, customization tools for every part of your OS, improved Developer Options for Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROMs.
This CM 10.1 Nightly build is based on AOSP Android 4.2.2 and it brings one of the purest Jelly Bean experiences. If you are already running a previous build of CyanogenMod then you know what I’m talking about when I’m saying that this is one of the best custom ROM available. Remember that the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROMs require more power and this will affect directly your Verizon Samsung Fascinate battery life.
Read this entire post and before starting the updating process you will need to read the guidelines below. It will help you complete the new ROM install at your first attempt in only 5 minutes. Here’s what you need to know:
- use the tutorial only for the Verizon Samsung Fascinate device. Don’t try to update any other device using the files in this post.
- your phone has to be rooted and it should feature the CWM or TWRP Recovery image. Don’t try to update in case your device doesn’t meet these requirements.
- create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM before starting the update. Use the custom Recovery image to create one.
- we’ve used the CWM Recovery image for this post but, the instructions are also working with the TWRP Recovery one.
- a factory reset step is listed in the tutorial and you will be asked to apply it. It will delete the /system partition contents which means that you will lose installed apps, SMS, Call logs info and other similar data. Save some of these files using these tools: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Contacts with the Gmail account you’ve assigned to your phone.
- Enable USB debugging option.
- Make sure that the phone’s battery power levels are over 50%. This will prevent the Verizon Fascinate from powering off in the middle of the updating process.
- Read the entire post and if you cannot complete the update, then you can ask for extra help in comments. Don’t skip any steps.
- Do not blame us in case something goes wrong and you lose data or you brick the device. That’s why I’ve told that this is an advanced guide for users who like to tinker with their phone’s operating systems.
Now that you know all of the above, move on to the next part of this post.
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROMs are usually eating up a lot of battery power, which is why it would be better for you to try and tinker with the phone’s brightness settings so that you will be able to use your device for a full day. Also, you can choose to disable Google Location settings, as these are usually eating up tons of resources.
How to install CM 10.1 Nightly build based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean for Verizon Samsung Fascinate:
- Download the CM 10.1 Nightlies build from here.
- Download Gapps for Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM from here.
- Connect the device to PC and then move both downloaded files on its internal SD card. Don’t extract the zip contents.
- Disconnect the phone from computer when the files are copied successfully. Power off the device.
- Boot your phone into CWM Recovery mode.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option and create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This is the restore point that you’re gonna use in case something goes wrong and you cannot boot your phone with the new CM 1o.1 Nightly ROM.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm. NOTE: If your phone is already running on a previous CM 10.1 Nightly, then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘install zip from SDcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 Nightly zip and install it.
- After the new ROM has been installed, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ once again. Find the ‘Gapps’ zip and confirm its installation.
- Return to the CWM Recovery main menu when done installing the files. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the first boot process to complete. Take control over your device when you’re asked to enter your Google Account.
- That’s it, you’ve update your Verizon Fascinate device successfully with the latest CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM.
Repeat the tutorial in case the install isn’t completed at your first attempt. But, make sure that you apply step 7 this time as that might be the cause that made your updating attempt fail.
Use the CWM Recovery menu to restore the NANDROID backup of your previous ROM in case you don’t like the new CM 10.1 Nightly. Also, the Verizon Samsung Fascinate might not get any other new CyanogenMod updates. However, you can check for updates by entering Settings and then opening the CyanogenMod Updates menu.
In case you cannot complete the update, then you should ask for extra help in the comments sections below. Make sure to leave a detailed comment comprises all the steps that you took and where you got stuck while trying to update your Verizon Samsung Fascinate smartphone.