Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE has received its own version of CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies. You can use this post and learn how to successfully flash the latest build of this CM10.1 custom ROM on your device. Read the entire post and use the comments section in case you’re having problems completing the ROM installation.
This build of CM 1o.1 is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and it is the best custom ROM that you can ever install on your I9305 SGS3 LTE. It doesn’t contain any bloatware and it works flawlessly. It gets rid of all the TouchWiz features and it installs the pure AOSP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 operating system along with all the customization tools of CyanogenMod ROMs. After installing this new OS you will be able to use multiuser feature, improved Google Now, Lockscreen widgets, Daydream and miracast display. Another great feature included in this release is the ‘Photosphere’ camera function, which was first launched with the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean for Nexus devices.
In order to make sure that you will install the CM 10.1 Nightly for the Samsung Galaxy S3, then you will have to read the guidelines below so that you will manage to flash the new OS at your first attempt.
- Use this guide only for the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9305. Do not attempt to install the files that you find in this post on any other Android device, not even on the I9300 model.
- Your smartphone has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image. We’ve used the CWM Recovery mode for the installation of this new ROM.
- Use ClockworkMod Recovery mode and create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. Do not attempt to install the new ROM without creating this type of ’system restore’ for your device.
- The ‘how-to’ guide will have you ‘factory reset’ your device and that is why you will lose the data stored on the /system partition. All the data that’s kept on the internal external SD card will not be deleted. You can choose to use some of these tools in order to backup some data in the process: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android application. Some of these tools will ask for root access.
- Sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account so that no phone numbers will be lost in the process.
- This is a guide for advanced Android users and you shouldn’t use it in case you don’t know what you’re doing. We cannot be held responsible in case you brick the device or you lose any data in the process.
- Make sure that your device’s battery is charged so that it won’t power off in the middle of the installation process. Read the entire post and make sure to ask for more instructions in case something goes wrong and you cannot complete the update.
NOTE: if your phone is running a previous build of the original CM 10.1 Nightlies, then you shouldn’t have to apply the ‘factory reset’ step. However, in case the device doesn’t power ON then you should return to Recovery mode and apply the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ step.
How to install the CM 10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9305:
- Download the custom ROM from HERE and save the file to your PC or directly to your device’s internal SDcard. Don’t extract its contents.
- Download the Gapps file for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE. Save the file to your smartphone without extracting its contents.
- Power off your device when you’re sure that the files have been successfully saved on its internal sdcard.
- Boot your phone into CWM Recovery mode. Press Volume Up, Home and Power buttons all at the same time and wait for the ClockworkMod Recovery to load.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option and create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. This will act as a restore point for your phone and you will be able to use it in case something goes wrong during the install process and your phone doesn’t boot with the new ROM.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm. NOTE: if your device is already sporting a previous Nightly build of CM 10.1 ROM then you can skip this step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 Nightly zip and confirm its installation. This process should take only a couple of minutes.
- Select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option again and this time you will need to flash the Gapps zip.
- Return to the main menu of the CWM Recovery mode and then select ‘reboot system now’.
- This first boot of the new ROM shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete. Enter the Google Account and take control over your device.
- Test the new CM 10.1 Nightly ROM and all of its new features and functions.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to flash this new ROM on your Galaxy S3 I9305.
In case the first boot process after the install is finished doesn’t complete then you should power off the device completely. Then, repeat the entire tutorial once again and make sure that you don’t skip any steps in the process. Make sure to apply step 6, too. That step helps you clean install the CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly build.
If you don’t like this new ROM then you should boot into CWM Recovery mode once again and then restore the backup file you created for your previous ROM.
If you like the CM 10.1 Nightly ROM, then you should know that you can keep it updated to the latest nightly build by going through Settings, then About phone menu and using the CyanogenMod Updates screen. You simply need to tap once in order to download the latest update file and then the phone reboots into Recovery mode and back to normal mode in 5 minutes with a brand new OS that’s up-to-date with the latest CM features.
If you have any other questions please post them in our comments section.