CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly build is now available for the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone. Use this tutorial and learn how to successfully flash all the required files. Note that this is an official Android 4.2.2 JB update, but a custom ROM that is based on pure AOSP Jelly Bean firmware.
Installing the CM 10.1 Nightlies for VZW Galaxy S4 will remove the TouchWiz UI and install a 100% Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM. All the bloatware installed by Samsung and Verizon will be completely removed from your device after the CM 10.1 Nightlies build is installed on your smartphone. Read the guidelines below in order to successfully flash this official build of CyanogenMod 10.1 for the Verizon Galaxy S4:
- use this tutorial only with the Verizon CDMA variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I545. Don’t try to flash the files you find here on any other variant of the Galaxy S4.
- your phone has to be factory unlocked, rooted and running a custom Recovery image like TWRP or CWM Recovery. I have used the ClockworkMod – CWM Recovery for this tutorial.
- this guide will also work with the TWRP Recovery, too. The instructions listed in the tutorial are very similar and you will surely manage to complete the installation.
- use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM. This will act as a restore point for your device and it can be very useful in case the new device doesn’t boot with CM 10.1 Nightly ROM.
- the tutorial features a step that will ask you to wipe data and factory reset your smartphone. This means that you will lose all the data from the system partition, while the internal SD card files will remain the same without losing any files that are stored on it.
- use the following tools for Android in order to backup SMS, Call logs info and APN Internet Settings: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is required for some of these tools and you should grant it.
- sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account using this guide here.
- enable USB debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- make sure that your phone’s battery has enough power left before powering off completely. In case the device will switch off while you’re trying to flash this new custom ROM, you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- this is a guide for advanced users who want to test custom ROMs and new builds of CM 10.1 for Galaxy S4 phone.
- don’t blame us in case you lose any important data in the process nor in case you brick the phone.
- read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed.
- if you cannot complete the install, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully flash an official CyanogenMod 10.1 build for your device.
How to install CM 10.1 Nightly ROM for Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon CDMA:
- Download the CM 10.1 Nightlies zip from HERE. Get the latest build and save the file on your computer. Don’t unzip the file.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 ROMs from HERE. Don’t unzip and place the file on your desktop screen.
- Connect the phone to your computer using the USB Data cable.
- Move both files onto its internal SDcard. After you complete the transfer, disconnect the device from your PC and after that you need to power it off completely.
- Boot the phone in CWM Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power simultaneously. When the screen flickers or the Recovery screen appears, you can release the buttons.
- Next, select ‘backup and restore’ option and create a full NANDROID backup of your current OS. When the backup is complete your can continue to the next part of this post.
- Now, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm that you want to apply this action. NOTE: If your phone is already running on a previous CM 10.1 Nightly ROM, then you can skip this step and install the new version over it. This is also known as a ‘dirty flash’.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ option from the main Recovery screen.
- Select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then you have to find the CM 10.1 Nightly zip. Confirm that you want to install it and wait several minutes before the installation process is complete.
- Now that the ROM has been installed successfully, select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Gapps zip and confirm the install.
- After you manage to successfully install both files, you will need to return to the main Recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’.
- The first boot process of CM 10.1 Nightly ROM shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to complete. Wait for all files to be loaded and then take control over your smartphone by entering your Google Account details.
- Test all the features of CM 10.1 and see if your smartphone looks / runs better with it than it did with Samsung’s TouchWiz Nature UX 2.0 interface.
I hope that you managed to complete the installation of this new ROM and that now you can experience the full AOSP Jelly Bean 4.2.2 operating system.
NOTE: in case the first boot process takes too long to complete, the phone freezes or it enters into a boot loop, then you will have to remove the device’s battery completely. Re-insert the battery back into its place and then you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again. This time make sure to apply all steps, including the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option, as that might be why the new ROM is unable to boot into normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to go over and install a brand new official CM 10.1 Nightlies relese.
If you don’t like how the CyanogenMod 10.1 works with your Verizon Galaxy S4, then you can easily use the NANDROID backup of your previously installed OS and restore all contents. For any other questions, use the comments field below.