Install CM 10.1 Nightlies ROM based on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000
The Galaxy Note 10.1 inch N8000 tablet is now supported by CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies. You can use this tutorial to learn how to successfully update your rooted device using the custom Recovery mode and the CM 10.1 Nightlies zip file. Read this entire guide and you should be able to complete the installation in under 10 minutes.
CM 10.1 Nightlies is one of the most popular Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROMs out there, it is based on AOSP and in order to correctly install it on your device read the guidelines below:
- use this guide only for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 model number N8000.
- don’t try to use the files you find here with any other Android device, as you will end up bricking it.
- your tablet has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM Recovery or TWRP Recovery. I have used the CWM version for this guide, but the TWRP one should work just as well.
- use the custom Recovery mode to create a full NANDROID backup of your currently installed ROM, so that you’ll have a restore point set for your tablet just in case something goes wrong and the new ROM doesn’t boot.
- backup all the data that is currently stored on your tablet.
- the tutorial will ask you to factory reset the device and this means that all installed apps and all the other data that’s stored on the system partition will be deleted in the process.
- enable USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu.
- make sure that there is enough power left in your tablet’s battery before starting the installation of CM 10.1 Nightly ROM.
- this is a tutorial for advanced Android users and it is not recommended for you to use this guide in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- we cannot be held responsible in case you lose any important data in the process.
- read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
NOTE: In case you’re already running a previous build of the CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM, then you can skip the ‘factory reset’ step and simply overwrite the previous build with the one I’ve listed in this post.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to properly install a custom ROM for your device.
How to install CM 10.1 Nightly Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000:
- Download the latest CM 10.1 Nightlies build from HERE.
> save the file on computer and don’t unzip its contents.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2 / CM 10.1 custom ROMs from HERE.
> don’t unzip the file.
- Connect the tablet with your PC and move both files onto its internal SDcard. When the files are copied to your tablet, disconnect it from your computer.
- Power off the Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 device completely.
- Boot it into CWM / TWRP Recovery mode.
> I’ve used the CWM Recovery for this guide, but you can use TWRP, too. The instructions are very similar.
- When in CWM Recovery Mode, select ‘backup and restore’ and create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. After that you can continue to the next step.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm the process.
> if your device is already running on a previous build of CM 1o.1, then you can skip this step. However, if the device doesn’t boot with the new ROM, then you will need to return to this step and apply it.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ option from the main Recovery screen. Then you need to select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Find the CM 10.1 Nightly zip and confirm that you want to install it.
- The ROM will install in a few minutes and after that you have to select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option. Find the Gapps zip and install it too.
- After all files have been successfully flashed, return to the first Recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait for the tablet to boot into normal CM 10.1 / Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean home screen and take control over all of its functions by entering your Google Account info.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash a CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly build for your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 model number N8000. I hope that you’ve managed to successfully update the device and that it works flawlessly.
If the tablet takes too long to complete the first boot process with the new OS, then you should power it off completely. After that you will need to repeat the entire tutorial once again and, this time, make sure to apply the ‘factory reset’ step, as that might be the cause for the failed CM10.1 ROM installation attempt.
If you don’t like how this new custom OS works with your Galaxy Note 10.1 GSM model, then you should use the ROM backup file you created in step 6 and restore it to its previous state. I think that these were all the instructions that I had for you, for any other questions use the comments field below.