Install CM 10.1 Nightly ROM Jelly Bean ROM for the Sony Xperia Z (Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom ROM)
CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies builds are now available for the Sony Xperia Z smartphones. Learn how to install this custom ROM on your water-resistant smartphone with this tutorial.
Sony Xperia Z has been launched some time ago and the CM team began working on their own variant of CM 10.1 ROM, a very popular operating system for all users who want to get rid of bloatware and other software and, instead, enjoy the AOSP Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS.
At the moment, the Xperia Z comes with Android 4.1 JB and since the CM 10.1 Nightlies are based on Android 4.2.2 JB, then you might be tempted to upgrade your device. However, note that the Nightly build means that this custom ROM is not a final release and not very stable. There are tons of new features and more tweaks to be added to CM 10.1 before we can consider it to be a viable alternative to Xperia Z original ROM.
Nightly Builds for Xperia Z will be released on a daily basis, this will continue until the CM 10.1 will hit Final version. In order to make sure that you successfully flash this custom ROM for your smartphone, then you should read the preparation guide below:
- Use this guide only with the Sony Xperia Z smartphone. Don’t attempt to flash this custom ROM on any other device.
- The Xperia Z has to be on an unlocked bootloader, rooted and running a custom Recovery image such as CWM or TWRP.
- Use the custom Recovery image and create a full NANDROID backup of your current ROM. It will set a restore point for your smartphone and you can use the backup in case you don’t like the new OS or the device doesn’t work smoothly with it.
- You will need to factory reset your device in order to install the new CM 10.1 Nightly. This process will wipe the system partition and you will lose SMS, Call Logs and installed apps. NOTE: If your device is already running on a previous build of CM 10.1 Nightlies, then you will be able to flash the new version over the previous one without factory resetting the device.
- Remember to sync your Contacts with your Gmail account so that you won’t lose any important phone numbers in the process.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Developer Options.
- Make sure that your device has enough battery power left before switching off.
- This guide is for advanced Android users, don’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you brick the device or you lose any data files in the process. Read the entire tutorial and don’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
These were all the preparation instructions that you had to go over before starting the updating process. If you cannot complete the install, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
How to install CM 10.1 Nightly ROM for the Sony Xperia Z:
- Download the CM 10.1 ROM zip from HERE. Get the latest file that’s available. Don’t unzip the file and save it to your PC.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.2.2-based custom ROMs from HERE. Save the file to your PC.
- Connect the smartphone to computer and then move both files on to its internal storage . After the files are copied to your device, then you can disconnect the phone from computer.
- Power off your Xperia Z.
- Boot the phone into custom Recovery mode by pressing and holding Power button, while at the same time pressing the Volume Up button several times.
- Create a NANDROID Backup now by selecting ‘backup and restore’ option. This will set a restore point for your device. Return to the main Recovery screen.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option now and confirm this process. NOTE: If your phone is already running on a previous CM 10.1 Build then you can skip this step and continue installing the new version over the previous one.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CM 10.1 Nightly zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ once again, then you need to install the Gapps file. Confirm this process.
- When both files have been successfully installed, you will need to return to the main Recovery screen. Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the Xperia Z to boot into normal CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM mode.
- The first boot process of the new ROM might take at least 5 minutes to complete, which is why you have to wait until all files are loaded.
- Enter your Google Account details and then you will be able to take control over your device once again. Also, start testing all the new features and functions that have been added with this new OS.
NOTE: In case the first boot process takes too long to complete, then you will have to power off the device completely. After that you will need to repeat the entire process once again and this time you will have to make sure that you apply step 7 and factory reset the device before installing the new ROM.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow and now you can test the new CM 10.1 Nightly ROM on your Sony Xperia Z.
This release of CM 10.1 Nightly Jelly Bean build is an official one created by the CyanogenMod team and not an official Sony updating file for your device.
You can check for CyanogenMod Updates for this CM 10.1 Nightly ROM using the Settings app. Select the CM builds that you wish to search for and if you find one that suits your device then you simply download and install it using 1 single click. Note that Nightly Builds of CM 10.1 will be launched on a daily basis.
If you find errors and you don’t like the new OS, then you can easily restore it to its previous ROM using the NANDROID copy you created at step 6. If you didn’t create ROM backup, then you cannot return to the previous state of your device. If you have any other questions, then you will need to use the comments section below and we will try to help you complete the update.