Install CM 11 Android 4.4 Nightly ROM for Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505
The official Nightlies of CyanogenMod 11 are now available for the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model number I9505. Installing the new custom ROM for your device is easy if you follow all the info that is listed in this article.
Remember that this is a post for users who want to tinker with their Android device and test as many custom ROMs as possible until they manage to find their day-to-day OS build. CyanogenMod 11 comes with tons of innovations besides the AOSP Android 4.4 features that will make your smartphone run smoother than ever.
After the Unofficial CM 11 builds, the Nighlties is the first build that is officially released by the CM team. However, note that these aren’t the most stable releases, but you will still get a better experience than you would get with the stock TouchWiz UI. If you like the stock Samsung experience then you shouldn’t flash any new custom ROMs.
Learn more about the new features and improvements added by CyanogenMod 11 Nightlies to your phone via the CM developers web page. Before starting the installation you will need to take a look at the preparation guide below and start learning how to successfully update your Galaxy S4 with the latest CM 11 Nightly build. Here’s what you need to know:
- this tutorial works only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 model number I9505.
- do not attempt to update any other Galaxy S4 variant with the files that you find in this post.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- TWRP Recovery might work too, as long as it is updated to the latest available version.
- ‘factory reset’ is needed in order for the new custom ROM to be applied, so that the new ROM will flash successfully.
- this ‘factory reset’ process will remove all data stored on your smartphone’s system partition, while the internal / external parts will be left unaffected by it.
- this step can be found in the tutorial.
> Galaxy S4 devices that are already sporting an official CM 11 Nightly ROM can be updated with a new build without ‘factory reset’.
> if you skip Factory Reset and the phone doesn’t boot in normal mode with the new build, then you will be forced to return to this step and repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- make sure not to skip the NANDROID ROM Backup step, as it will help you setup a restore point for your Galaxy S4.
- such file can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode or in case you wish to restore your phone to its current ROM.
- backup data from installed applications using the Helium tool for Android — Google Play Store link here.
- SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings can be saved with the following apps: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- charge the phone’s battery until it reaches at least 50% power, so that it won’t switch off in the middle of the updating process.
- this is a tutorial that is destined to be used by advanced Android users, you cannot blame us in case you brick the phone.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and use the comments field if you need any extra help.
Since you’ve read all of the above, you can continue to the next part of this article and learn how to update your device with a brand new build of CyanogenMod 11 ROM.
How to flash CM 11 Nightly KitKat 4.4.2 custom ROM for your Galaxy S4 LTE I9505:
- Download the latest CM 11 Nightly build for your device from here.
- make sure to grab the latest version.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC and then move both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
- do not extract the contents stored on the archived files.
- disconnect the device from PC when the files are copied.
- Power off your Galaxy S4 now.
- Boot the device in CWM Recovery mode.
- TWRP Recovery should work too, but you need to make sure to apply the correct corresponding actions.
- remember that the CWM / TWRP Recovery has to be updated to its latest version.
- First, create a full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM.
- select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and save it on your device.
> continue to the next step when done.
- Now, apply Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
- Next, flash the brand new custom ROM by selecting ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option:
- find the CM 11 Nightly zip and confirm its installation.
- After the ROM is flashed, select once again ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Now flash the Gapps zip.
- When both files are installed, return to the main custom Recovery Mode screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
- note that this first boot process takes a while to complete, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the home screen of CM 11 Nightly doesn’t appear.
- Create or log into your CyanogenMod account and then you can start testing this brand new ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to take, now you’re free to use CM 11 Nightly on your Galaxy S4 LTE.
If you have any other questions or you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments.