Android 4.4 KitKat is out there and even though the official release of the same is available only for Nexus devices at least until next year, the KitKat OS is spreading and embracing almost all the handsets available on the market. And since that is happening, the Galaxy Grand Duos users will probably want to do the same. Because of that I have decided to bring up this step by step guide; well, by using the tutorial you will be able to learn how to install CM 11 firmware on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos.
CM 11 is being powered by the latest Android OS, so by completing this guide you will be able to enjoy Android 4.4 KitKat on your own Galaxy Grand Duos. Unfortunately CM 11 isn’t representing an official update, so this is a custom ROM software. The firmware has nothing to do with Samsung or with Google, so that’s why this operation isn’t official. Therefore, be careful when installing CM11 and don’t apply thing without consulting the guidelines from below.
Unfortunately this in not even the official version of CM 11 as the present variant of the firmware has been developed by those of xda-developers. Don’t worry, as CM 11 has been optimized and modified especially for your Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos. But, even though the software will smoothly run on your smartphone, there are some problems that you should know about. The first one is related to the SIM: with this version of CM 11 you can only use one SIM on your Galaxy Grand Duos. Then, on the pther hand there have been reported issues with the screenrecorder (it isn’t working), FM radio, camera (only minor bugs here), some audio settings and other minor issues.
Anyway, you can install CM11 for a daily use on your Grand Duos as everything else is working perfectly. Also, the mentioned bugs are being resolved as we speak so you will be updated with a new version of the Android 4.4 KitKat custom ROM soon. But until then, this should do the job, especially if you want to try and test the latest features, apps and capabilities that are available on the Android market.
The best is that CM11 combines stock and extra features, which can be used for improving the speeds, upgrading the battery life, updating the web browsing experience and the Android looks and UI and also for powering up your Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos. Of course, when dealing with so many advantages there must be at least one trick. Well, in this case, the unfortunate info comes with the warranty: by completing this tutorial your Grand Duos warranty will get void. Basically this is happening because root access is being required – CM 11 can be installed only on a rooted Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos.
Don’t worry, as the root access can be revoked and you can restore the warranty afterwards. All you have to do for achieving the same is to downgrade your phone to stock Android OS. Also you can flash an official update on your handset, though on rooted devices the OTA releases can’t be spotted – you will have to apply the update manually by using Odin.
After gaining root access you need to take care of another operation. This time you will have to install a custom recovery image on your device. I recommend you to use CWM or TWRP recovery, because these are the most used custom recovery apps for Android system. The custom recovery is a link between you and your phone’s internal system. That’s why by using the tool you can flash .zip files from the SD card, wipe the system, clear the cache, make backups and so on.
The rest of the pre requisites are referring to the following:
- Use the custom recovery image for saving the current ROM of your Grand Duos. If the CM 11 Android 4.4 custom ROM will be too buggy for you, then the best will be to restore the old firmware. In order to do that you first have to make a Nandroid backup.
- Also, a general backup is more than recommended because on the update operation a wipe will be required. So everything that’s saved on the internal storage memory of your handset will get wiped out.
- The best will be to use suitable backup and restore apps from Google Play for saving the EFS folder, the text messages, call logs, market apps, internet settings, contacts list, personal info, saves and accounts and so on.
- Make sure that a computer or notebook is near you because you will have to use the same.
- On the computer and on your smartphone you need to deactivate the antivirus, antimalware and Firewall protection before going any further.
- On your phone from “menu – settings – developer options” you need to enable the USB debugging option.
- Also, if you handset has less than 50% battery power left, the best will be to plug in the charger before starting the proper tutorial.
- Install CM 11 on Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos by using this guide. Use the steps from below only if you have the mentioned device with model number of GT-I9082/GT-I9082L. Else you will end up in bricking your Android smartphone or tablet.
How to Install CM 11 on Galaxy Grand Duos and Update to Android 4.4 KitKat Firmware
- Download CM 11 custom ROM from here.
- Download Google apps from here.
- Place the files on desktop (on your computer) without unzipping the same.
- Connect your Grand Duos with your computer; use the USB cable for establishing the mentioned connection.
- Take the downloaded files from your computer and place the same on your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the devices by removing the USB cable.
- Turn off your phone and reboot in recovery mode.
- Select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Choose “+++go back+++” and “advance”; finally pick “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to recovery and select “install zip from SD card”, followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Take the Android 4.4 KitKat OS from the SD card and flash the same on your smartphone.
- Do the same thing for installing the Google Apps package.
- In the end, from main menu of recovery select “reboot system now” and you are done.
Perfect; you have successfully installed CM 11 on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos. Now a custom version of Android 4.4 KitKat firmware is running on your device. Test the software and then share your experience and your results and conclusions with us and with other users by using the comments field or our contact form from below.