Galaxy S3 International I9300 smartphone can now be updated with the first official CyanogenMod 11 Nightly build. Read the info in this article and you should be able to complete the guide in no time.
If you want to successfully install this custom ROM on your smartphone, then you should first take a look at the preparation guide below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300.
– don’t attempt to update any other devices with the files that you find in this post, as you will end up bricking the phone.
- your Galaxy S3 has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
– TWRP Recovery should also work if it is updated to its latest version.
- a ‘factory reset’ is required and this means that you will lose all data that is stored on your phone’s system partition, while the internal and external sdcards won’t be affected at all by this process.
– don’t skip ‘factory reset’, as if you do then the new ROM won’t boot in normal mode.
- in the tutorial you’ll find the NANDROID ROM Backup step, don’t skip it.
– it will create a full backup for the installed ROM, so that you’ll have a restore point to use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- if you want to backup data from installed applications, then you should use the Helium app from Google Play Store here.
- backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings with the following apps for Android devices: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- sync all your Contacts info with your Gmail account.
– this guide here can be used to learn how to backup all your people phone numbers and contacts details.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- the battery charge level of your device has to be over 50%, this will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- use this tutorial only if you’re an advanced Android user and you wish to tinker with your phone’s OS.
- note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick your smartphone in the process nor in case you lose any important data files.
- if you can’t complete the installation, then you can always ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your smartphone with the latest KitKat Nightly build from CyanogenMod.
How to flash CM 11 Android 4.4 Nightlies for Galaxy S3 I9300:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4 ROMs from here.
- Connect the phone with your PC, then copy both zip files to its internal storage.
– when the files are copied, disconnect the Galaxy S3 from your computer.
– make sure not to unzip the files.
- Power off your Galaxy S3 now.
- Boot the device in CWM Recovery mode.
– use the info here in case you don’t know how to boot custom Recovery mode.
– TWRP Recovery will work too if it is updated to the latest version possible.
- When you’re at the main custom Recovery screen you should first create the full NANDROID Backup for the installed ROM:
– select ‘backup and restore’, then save the file on your device.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm.
> if your device already runs on a previous CM 11 KitKat Nightly build, then you can skip Factory Reset.
- Flash the custom ROM now:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the custom ROM file.
– confirm the installation and then continue to the next step when the ROM is flashed.
- Repeat step 8 actions and flash Gapps for Android 4.4 too.
- When both zip files are installed, get back to the main custom Recovery screen and reboot your Galaxy S3 in normal mode.
> the first boot process takes a while to complete which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- Create / login into your CyanogenMod account and then start customizing and testing the new CM 11 Nightly ROM to better suit your needs.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the tutorial and to update your phone. If you have any other questions, use the comments field below.
Note that in case the first boot process takes too long to complete, then you should power off the device completely and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. If you decide to repeat the guide, then you should make sure not to skip any steps and factory reset your Galaxy S3, so that the new ROM will boot in normal mode.