CyanogenMod 11 M8 Snapshot build can now be installed for the HTC One M7 device. Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully install the new custom ROM.
The M8 Snapshot of CM 11 ROM is a stable release that is based on AOSP Android 4.4.4 KitKat. It contains tons of great new features and elements that should offer you a more stock Android KitKat experience. Learn more about this release here or here.
Before starting the update you will have to take a look at the guidelines below:
- use this post only with the HTC One M7, the model launched in 2013.
– do not attempt to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this post.
- your device has to be rooted and running the latest CWM / TWRP Recovery image.
- in the tutorial part of this post you will find the NANDROID ROM Backup and Factory Reset steps.
– don’t skip those steps.
– the NANDROID Backup is needed to create a full restore point for your device, one that can be used in case the new ROM doesn’t boot correctly.
– ‘factory reset’ is needed so that you will remove all the data files installed by the previous ROM.
- if you want to save data from your phone, then you can choose to use Helium tool for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- this is a tutorial that will work only for advanced users, don’t try to blame us in case you end up bricking your phone nor in case you lose any data in the process.
- check the battery charge level of your phone and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent the device from switching off in the middle of the installation.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps.
- make sure that you know what you’re doing before getting to the tutorial.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can now continue to the next part of this post.
How to flash CM 11 M8 Snapshot ROM for HTC One M7:
This custom ROM build is based on stock Android 4.4.4 KitKat and it is the first stable CM 11 release based on the latest KitKat firmware. It is better to install the M Snapshot builds of CM 11 instead of the CM 11 Nightlies.
- Download the CM 11 M8 Snapshot ROM zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x ROMs from here.
- Connect your device with your PC and move both zip files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
– do not unzip the files.
– ignore this step in case you’ve already downloaded the files straight to your phone.
- Power off the HTC One now.
- Next, boot it in CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM.
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ option and set a file name. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Backup, set a filename, swipe to confirm process.
- Apply the ‘Factory Reset':
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe. Confirm.
- Now you can begin the installation process of CM 11 M8 KitKat 4.4.4 ROM for your HTC One M7:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Browse your phone for the CM 11 M8 Snapshot zip and load it. Confirm installation.
- After the new ROM is flashed with success you will have to flash Gapps zip, too. Use the same options as in step 8.
- When all files are flashed you can return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode.
- Use your Google info or create a new CyanogenMod progile and log into your HTC One M7 new ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to take. For extra help use the comments field below.
In case you cannot complete the installation at your first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire process more than once.