Galaxy S4 Mini LTE now can be updated to Android 4.4.4 KitKat using CM 11 M8 Snapshot ROM. Use this guide if you want to learn how to successfully install this new ROM.
CyanogenMod 11 M8 Snapshot is the first Stable build of CM based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat. If you want to learn more about this release you should take a look at the info listed here and here. Remember that this custom ROM is great if you want to use it on a daily basis as it is much more stable than the Nightly CM 11 builds.
Read the guidelines below if you want to learn how to prepare the phone for the installation process:
- this guide works only with the International Samsung Galaxy S4 mini LTE models.
– do not try to flash this ROM on any US LTE models of this phone.
- your phone has to be rooted and running a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
– both CWM Recovery and TWRP Recovery are working with this guide.
- before starting the installation you will have to apply two additional steps that are both listed in the tutorial: NANDROID ROM Backup and Factory Reset.
– the NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM sets a restore point for your device.
– ‘Factory Reset’ has to be applied so that you will remove the files installed by the old ROM before installing the new ROM.
– don’t skip these steps when you find them in the tutorial.
- if you want to save data from installed apps, SMS text messages or any other file use Helium for Android.
- sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account.
- this guide should be used by advanced users.
- do not blame us in case you brick the phone nor in case you end up losing any data in the process.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, it will prevent the device from switching off during installation.
- read the whole guide first and do not skip any steps listed below.
Now that you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the interesting part of this post.
How to flash CM 11 M8 Android 4.4.4 ROM for Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (international):
- Download the CM 11 M8 Snapshot zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC and move both zip files to its internal storage.
– do not unzip the contents of these files.
– in case you’ve downloaded them directly to your phone, then you can ignore this step.
- Power off the phone now.
- Boot the Galaxy S4 Mini LTE in CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that’s currently installed on your device:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm process.
– TWRP: press Backup, rename the file, swipe to confirm backup.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset step:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm process.
– TWRP: press Wipe, swipe for confirmation.
- Now you can start the installation process of CM 11 M8 KitKat Stable ROM for your Galaxy S4 Mini LTE:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the CM 11 M8 Snapshot zip file. Confirm the installation.
- Wait until the ROM is flashed and then you should use the same ‘step 8′ actions in order to flash the Gapps zip.
- When both files are installed successfully you can return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your Galaxy S4 Mini LTE in normal mode.
– note that the CM 11 M8 first boot process takes a while to complete which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until you see the welcoming CM login screen.
- Use your Google account or create a CyanogenMod account in order to take full control over your smartphone.
If the installation fails, then you should try to repeat the entire process more than once. Make sure that you will not skip any steps and read the guidelines once more in order to be sure that you don’t forget anything.
If you need more help use the comments field below.