All the LTE versions of the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone can be updated to Android 4.4.4 KitKat using the official CyanogenMod 11 M9 Snapshot custom ROM.
This is a build designed by the CM team and you can learn more about it here and here. This is a release that’s obviously based on stock Android 4.4.4 KitKat and it also packs some CyanogenMod elements that should offer you a much better KitKat experience and get rid of all the TouchWiz bloatware.
Before starting the installation your should read the guidelines below:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE smartphones.
– the CM team has merged all the LTE devices into a single ‘jflte’ release, this release includes the following device model versions: flteatt, jfltecan, jfltecri, jfltecsp, jfltespr, jfltetmo, jflteusc, jfltevzw, jfltexx.
– the International Galaxy S4 I9505 LTE is also supported by this release.
- do not attempt to update other different Galaxy models with the files listed in this post.
- your phone should be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP Recovery image.
– both custom Recovery versions will work with this post.
- before installing the new ROM you will have to apply two extra preparation steps: the NANDROID Backup and the FACTORY RESET.
– the NANDROID Backup: it creates a full restore point for your device, one that you can use in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
– Factory Reset step: this one will remove the system memory of the previous ROM, so that you can install the new CM 11 M9 build without problems.
– the factory reset will not delete any files from the internal nor external storage.
- use the Helium tool for Android in case you wish to save some data from the installed applications.
– sync Contacts info with your default Gmail account in case you don’t want to lose any important phone numbers or People details.
- check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent it from switching off during installation.
- read the whole guide, don’t skip any steps and use the comments field in case you need more help.
- also, note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick your phone nor in case you end up losing any data in the process.
Now that you’ve learned all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and install the new ROM for your device.
How to install CM 11 M9 KitKat 4.4.4 ROM for the Galaxy S4 LTE:
- Download the CM 11 M9 Snapshot ROM from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB Cable. Now copy both zip files to your phone’s internal storage.
– disconnect the phone from computer when the files are copied successfully.
– if you’ve used the Galaxy S4 to download the files, then you can skip this step.
– do not unzip the files.
- Power off the Galaxy S4 LTE and boot it in Custom Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDROID Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press Backup.
– set a file name and confirm process.
- Now apply the Factory Reset.
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press Wipe option.
– confirm factory reset and continue to the next step when it’s done.
- Now you can begin the CM 11 M9 KitKat ROM installation for your Galaxy S4 LTE:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Browse your phone’s internal storage and find the CM 11 M9 Snapshot zip. Load it in Custom Recovery menu and confirm the installation.
- After the ROM is flashed you can install Gapps zip, too. Use the same options as in step 7 in order to complete the install.
- When all files are installed you can reboot the phone in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process of this new ROM will take a while before it loads all the files.
- Use your Google account info or the CyanogenMod profile in order to take control over your device once again.
These were the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the installation of CM 11 M9 Android 4.4.4 ROM for your Galaxy S4 LTE device.
If the process fails, then you should try to repeat the whole guide more than once and make sure not to skip any steps. Also, use the comments field in case you need any extra help.